Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had braces on for 2 years which I had taken off well over a year ago now. I was then given a retainer to wear at night which I wore consistently for ages then I stopped wearing it for about 2 or 3 months then started wearing it again, I think by doing that it has made my teeth go buck again, mainly my two fronts ones.

I went to the dentist a couple of days ago and my dentist said everything is fine but I still don't feel as if everything is, I think she might be lying to me though just to save herself a job of having to sort my teeth out. Im starting to get an overbite again and when I laugh or smile it seems as if my two front teeth are really prominent like they are goofy or something.

Does anyone know what I can do?

Im quite sure I will need a brace again but my dentist just says everything is fine every time I go.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
In the USA, the dentist will jump at the chance to do more work, because they make $$ that way. Is it different in the UK? If not, then consider the possibility that you are anxious about your teeth, and that has made a minor imperfection seem worse than it is.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the USA, the dentist will jump at the chance to do more work, because they make $$ that way. Is it different in the UK? If not, then consider the possibility that you are anxious about your teeth, and that has made a minor imperfection seem worse than it is.
Yes over here we have the nhs which is free

There are private dentists but I can't afford to go to one of them

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Did you wear the retainer for as long as your dentist recommended?

From what I read, it seems to be inevitable that your teeth will shift/move even with proper usage of the retainer. Mine did, but not too badly.

Maybe just keep using the retainer for a few more months and see how it goes. If you're unhappy with it then maybe get braces again? Or even go to a different dentist and see what can be done.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you wear the retainer for as long as your dentist recommended?

From what I read, it seems to be inevitable that your teeth will shift/move even with proper usage of the retainer. Mine did, but not too badly.

Maybe just keep using the retainer for a few more months and see how it goes. If you're unhappy with it then maybe get braces again? Or even go to a different dentist and see what can be done.
Oh god I hope I dont need a brace again

I thinkni'll have to try another dentist then and see what they say

·
Registered
9 Posts
You want to do wash your teeth at regular basis first early morning and second is before sleep.This is much better for your teeth after few days you will get good result.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had braces a second time after not wearing my retainer and I'm still not happy with the way they look and I can't expect my dad to keep paying for my dental work. I don't want to have to worry about them for the rest of my life, but I probably will.

My advice is don't do it. It's the teeth that aren't the problem, it's the way you think about them. (You can insert whatever label here: perfectionism, body dysmorphia, OCD whatever...)

"I think she might be lying to me though just to save herself a job of having to sort my teeth out."

That just sounds like low self-esteem trash talk. You can't assume anything about anyone. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had braces a second time after not wearing my retainer and I'm still not happy with the way they look and I can't expect my dad to keep paying for my dental work. I don't want to have to worry about them for the rest of my life, but I probably will.

My advice is don't do it. It's the teeth that aren't the problem, it's the way you think about them. (You can insert whatever label here: perfectionism, body dysmorphia, OCD whatever...)

"I think she might be lying to me though just to save herself a job of having to sort my teeth out."

That just sounds like low self-esteem trash talk. You can't assume anything about anyone. Sorry if this sounds harsh.
But if I need a brace again and dont have one put on then surely that would make things worse

Maybe it is low self esteem trash talk but I have two lumps in my mouth above my teeth and she said that was normal. I just hate having bugs bunny teeth, its not so bad when you're a kid but I'm 21 now and its not good to have two huge front teeth.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, technically it's not free. You just don't have to pay for it. Maybe that's why the dentist is being a bit......conservative?
yeah i get what you mean lol

thats probably the reason why, if shes like that then i don't know what to do anymore, i phoned my orthodontist and she said im not registered with them anymore so she cant have me book an appointment there and just reffered me to my normal dentist.

the thing is i don't want to have to go through the whole brace process again, i had them on for two years and at times it was quite painful (especially when they tightened them) to have them on for that long and have to do it all over again would be soul destroying, especially me being 21 now, i'd look even more of an idiot than i already i am. i cant afford to go private either because they cost too much.

FOR **** SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing ever goes right for me, sometimes i bet people look at me and think what a freak i am.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it too late to go back to using the retainer again?
I still wear the retainer now, I just stopped wearing it ages ago for a couple of months then started wearing it again. I might need a new one as I've had this one for well over a year now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts