Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now I have this one big problem and need some advices. I really want to set some new goals and try to change my way of thinking, become more positive. I tried to do it times before, but my problem just made me fail. That problem is that I easily get down. Like day starts quite well, I have plans and work to do, but then something gets me a bit down and my all day goes down. I get depressed and then usually just waste my whole day at computer by hitting same websites all the time (one of them SAS). I just don't know how to prevent these depression waves and make myself to concentrate on doing something important. Maybe I should somehow punish myself if I fail to do my plans and let myself down? Or do you have any advices how to prevent these downs that are eating my time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sounds familiar! I've become slightly less depressed recently, generally being in a better mood than I used to be but I still can suddenly feel down for no sensible reason. These days I tend to come back up again but I still don't have any motivation. I just feel less depressed. For me, thinking happy thoughts can help. Though obviously when I'm too depressed I can't think them. But select a few good memories, or scenes from a film you like or think of your dream life. And run through them if you can. Maybe they will make you smile and stop you feeling anymore down. And try to do that as soon as you can feel you're slipping. Also, try some positive affirmations. Think/say them over and over, both when you are feeling ok and then still try to say them when you're down, stupid as they may seem at that time. It might help.

But mostly I may be talking crap haha.

And also, don't beat yourself up for feeling down. Notice the feeling and try to move on. :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
music and dance. Music+dance= Automatically happy. Even if you lack skill like myself i suggest putting on a song when no one is home and just start freestyle dancing. Try to avoid music that is depessing (i often fall into this trap) try something uplifting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh, gosh! I have a really hard time controlling my depression when I'm at home too much online. What I have started doing recently is going to the library to use the computer for job hunting. I have also read books about possible career paths. Not to worry too much about talking either. It sucks because it feels like a catch 22 with both anxiety and depression. I agree with kos about music. Ah, so great! I started vocal and piano lessons a month ago. I'm trying to do something other than eating to cope :popcorn. Having both work and play is important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts