Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am pretty good at acting like I am not around. Because I can be so quiet in the house and pretend I am not here. Like today, we have an electrician in and out of our house but I don't think he knows I am here because I am in my room all quiet,my bedroom door is half shut, I haven't been downstairs whilst he has been here (I did go downstairs at lunchtime to get something to eat when my mum told me he has gone to the wholesalers or something) He probably thinks it's just my mum here today.
He was here yesterday and I was 'around' so he knew I was at home but today I don't want him to know I am at home again. Yesterday it was ok because it 'looked' like I had a day off work/college but if he saw me today too he'd know I may not have a job/college to go too.
Just hope my mum doesn't say anything that leads to mentioning I am here otherwise he knows I am here then and then it would be ackward coz he'd be thinking Oh well she's so quiet I didn't know she was here or something lol
This morning, he had to go up into the loft and it's right outside my bedroom door, I froze lol and I was worried he'd hear me and pop his head inside the door to see who was inside and say hello lol but no he didn't, it seemed he didn't even know I was in the next room LOL

I guess it's better me in my bedroom than walking around the house because I don't want to be 'in his way' and hinder him. And it's abit too late now to just show my face lol otherwise i'd freak him out and he'd be thinking "Omg, where did she just come from? out of thin air."

Anyone else good at faking it?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
If it weren't for the trips to the kitchen to get food and to the bathroom, you wouldn't know I lived here. On an average day I hardly even talk to my parents. They just let me know when they're leaving and when they arrive and I just offer some short acknowledgement and thats it.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Ha, you're hiding reminds me of the time I was house hunting. I was looking through the house, went into the bedroom and heard a weird noise coming from a closet. I was a little scared; I thought maybe a cat was trapped. I opened the door and there was a woman in there! I was startled and so was she, she left the room with no explanation, and nothing was mentioned to the real estate lady. She may have been spying, or, had SA!

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
I remember doing this when I was younger. Hiding whenever someone came to visit (usually my brother's friends or some stranger). I would sit in my room completely quiet, frozen in fact, and not say a word lest they should hear me. Strange, right? I get the same feeling at uni sometimes or on the bus home; I just freeze up, can't move.

epril: your story cracked me up :rofla woman in the closet!

·
Banned
293 Posts
I do the same thing too. Sometimes I scare the crap out of my parents because I'm so quiet and sometimes accidentally sneak up on them. It always bothers me though when there's a guest over because I think, "What if they hear me hiding in my bedroom? What if they peak in to check it out and see me?" and then I have a panic attack. lol

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I stay in my room when new people are over, I can become "invisible" at will when in a large crowd of people or a family get together with old relatives I haven't seen in years.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
I hide in my room whenever ANYONE comes around.

I'd just like to say it's great to be somewhere where so many people relate. It's quite comforting.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep it is comforting to know you ain't alone and that other people mirror you experiences.

·
Trapped
322 Posts
Yeah I do that too, whenever theres people over I stay upstairs in my room and pretend not to be there. It's especially annoying when my brother has friends over in his room (which is adjacent to mine), is very hard to relax then.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah, I've done this before. And apparently I have a tendency to sneak up on people. More than once I've startled people because they didn't know I was in the room, or that I was standing next to them or something. :lol

I don't try to, but I think maybe over the years I've developed an unconscious habit of trying to make myself as small and quiet and invisible as possible.

·
Banned
196 Posts
This reminds me so much of how I was behaving a few years ago, while still living at home. I even boarded up the windows when the guy came around to check the voting register (it's compulsory to enrol to vote over here) so that he wouldn't think that anyone else lived there. I hated talking to my Mum, and just wanted to stay in my room and write music, or play the piano, or do computer stuff. It freaked me out hardcore when anyone walked past my door while I was playing piano though.

Thankfully things are a little different now... going out to work each day is good, so I don't get stuck in my own space too much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why would you want to hide yourself away? So what if people know you're in and form their own opinion of you. It doesnt mean that its true.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I think I am pretty good at acting like I am not around. Because I can be so quiet in the house and pretend I am not here. Like today, we have an electrician in and out of our house but I don't think he knows I am here because I am in my room all quiet,my bedroom door is half shut, I haven't been downstairs whilst he has been here (I did go downstairs at lunchtime to get something to eat when my mum told me he has gone to the wholesalers or something) He probably thinks it's just my mum here today.
He was here yesterday and I was 'around' so he knew I was at home but today I don't want him to know I am at home again. Yesterday it was ok because it 'looked' like I had a day off work/college but if he saw me today too he'd know I may not have a job/college to go too.
Just hope my mum doesn't say anything that leads to mentioning I am here otherwise he knows I am here then and then it would be ackward coz he'd be thinking Oh well she's so quiet I didn't know she was here or something lol
This morning, he had to go up into the loft and it's right outside my bedroom door, I froze lol and I was worried he'd hear me and pop his head inside the door to see who was inside and say hello lol but no he didn't, it seemed he didn't even know I was in the next room LOL

I guess it's better me in my bedroom than walking around the house because I don't want to be 'in his way' and hinder him. And it's abit too late now to just show my face lol otherwise i'd freak him out and he'd be thinking "Omg, where did she just come from? out of thin air."

Anyone else good at faking it?
Whenever someone comes to my house such as a technician etc, I will go to my room and stay there until they are gone.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Ha, you're hiding reminds me of the time I was house hunting. I was looking through the house, went into the bedroom and heard a weird noise coming from a closet. I was a little scared; I thought maybe a cat was trapped. I opened the door and there was a woman in there! I was startled and so was she, she left the room with no explanation, and nothing was mentioned to the real estate lady. She may have been spying, or, had SA!
:hahaMy bet would be SA because that's exactly the plan I intended to execute for when people came to look around. I planned to set up some cushions, a torch, and some books in the closet, but wasn't allowed. I also imagined the hilarity of being caught by an unsuspecting house hunter opening the door.

·
Registered
311 Posts
One time I hid in my closet just for fun while someone was here (I was pretending to be a spy), and my mom chose that moment to walk in and ask me something with the guy behind her. I don't even remember who it was or what she asked me, but I remember being so embarrassed that it looked like I was hiding in the closet when I was already hiding in my room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do this too. When my relatives or parents friends came over, if i were on my computer I would put my headphones on, just to make myself feel better about giving an excuse saying that "I had my music loud" if I needed to explain.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:hahaMy bet would be SA because that's exactly the plan I intended to execute for when people came to look around. I planned to set up some cushions, a torch, and some books in the closet, but wasn't allowed. I also imagined the hilarity of being caught by an unsuspecting house hunter opening the door.
LOL if I could choose between having to show my face to the trademan or locking myself in the closet.
I'd probably choose showing my face lol I would be really embaressed if I was hiding in the closet and then the trademan wants to look in there or something. Imagine the look or fright the trademan would get if he opened the door and saw me sitting in there! :p LOL In fact dunno who would be more embaressed the trademan or me LOL I'd probably just say something like "Found it!" (pretending I was in the closet looking for something) and run away lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts