Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first visit with the psychiatrist. She basically just asked the questions you'd think she would be asking on a first appointment.

I did tell her I have tried lexapro briefly which I didnt like, and I have lorazapam(generic ativan) which barely helps the physical symptons.

I mentioned that Ive read that many people have had success with Nardil and Parnate, even though I know many Dr.'s dont prescibe it. She said she hasn't prescibed it before but she did say she will look into the dietary restrictions.

Anyways she prescibed me zoloft which Im not happy about. If its anything like lexapro Im going to get pissed off(well maybe if it doesnt zombify me). My problems is SAD not depression and if I am depressed at all, its because of the SAD.

I said Id try it for 3 weeks. I dunno

· Registered
106 Posts
Zoloft is supposed to treat SA, too. It works for some, doesn't work for others. I'm on Zoloft mainly for depression, but if it does double-duty and takes care of the SA too, that would be nice. I have Ativan for when I need it until the Zoloft has time to kick in. Unfortunately, I've only been on it a week, so I'm afraid I can't give you much insight. FWIW, when I was on Zoloft years ago for depression, it didn't make me a zombie. But you will need to give it more than 3 weeks. 4-6, minimum. SSRIs take a while to work.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going to try it, I just dont like the responses I see on askpatient. Probably shouldnt take the overall rating too seriously either. When I look up the nardil and parnate responses it gives me hope.

tbc...

· Registered
106 Posts
I've been on it for almost 3 weeks.. 1 week of 25mg, 1 week of 50mg, and I've been on 75mg for almost a week. I don't think it's made much of a difference yet.. I notice I've been feeling better I've since I got meds just because of knowing that help is on the way and things will hopefully be getting better.

Give it time. Two weeks absolutely isn't long enough for it to have an effect.

· UnDeRrAtED
34,721 Posts
I had to wait at least a month to notice any difference in my depression not so much for anxiety.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm a big fan of Zoloft for SA. Tomorrow I am going to ask for either that or Prozac, due to my suspicion that I have a variation in the ABCB1 gene that causes more P-glycoprotein in the brain, or something like that. Zoloft is a potent inhibitor of P-gp, and Prozac is a moderate inhibitor (and not a substrate).

I advise everyone who experienced minimal effects and withdrawals from Lexapro/Celexa or Effexor to switch to Prozac or Zoloft. Paxil would work too as it is a potent inhibitor, but I don't agree with its anticholinergic effects.

· Registered
1 Posts
My story in a nutshell

I'm 22 years old and was working successfully as a hairstylist while going to school for the last 3 years. Being naive and stupid I got into some hard drugs ("uppers") which ultimately depleted my seretonin levels to almost nothing... Then, the anxiety kicked in. I was diagnosed with anxiety by my therapist and doctor just last year. Because of my anxiety I have not been working, I've had several panick attacks (while driving, at school, work, gas station, you name it...) and have lost friends over this. Anyways, I have been prescribed several SSRI meds; zoloft being one of them. It did nothing for my anxiety. It made me grind my teeth and bite my tongue at night, which ultimately became a problem for me. Luckily, I was prescribed Celexa (I've taken Lexapro which most people know is a refined and newer version of Celexa, but by no means are they the same, Lexapro did nothing for me). It has done wonders for me and I have only been taking it for a couple weeks. I also found out about kava kava and have been taking that as well to calm me down. The only drawback is I have clammy hands, but that's common in most SSRI meds. So, celexa combined with the kava kava has been a good combo for me and I'm glad to say that I feel like I'm on my way to feeling anxiety free, we shall see! :roll

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Adding Wellbutrin or low dose Selegiline can help with SSRI induced sexual side effects.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Hard to answer, in this case Wellbutrin or Selegiline would probably not help, but one can never be sure without trying of course.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I've never heard of Remeron being used for that before. Typical use is as a sleep aid at low dose (like 15 mg).
http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/split/SSRI-sexual-dysfunction.html

Down the page there are a few mentions of it.

My ultimate SSRI-based combo would be:

• Sertraline
  • Mirtazapine
  • Pindolol
  • Bupropion

In there you get purely positive effects from the SSRI due to blockade of several 5-HT2 and 3 receptors, as well as instant efficacy due to pindolol's antagonism of the 5-HT1A autoreceptor. Also, dopamine is enhanced with the Wellbutrin.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
In theory... even psychopharmacologists with decades of experience couldn't tell if this would work like you think it will in real life. No trials have been done on this subject and none will ever been done... ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.