Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was actually having a great school year so far, compared to my other two years of highschool. Things were going great and I can say I was even enjoying myself while I was there. But once again I'm afraid things are going to go down the hole for me again. In 9th grade we had to write a paper and read it infront of the class, it was such a terrible experience for me I could'nt even bring myself to go back to school and I didn't go for the whole second half of the year. I ended up being home tutored. I made my way through my sophomore year but failed a class and was absent frequently. And now I have to do a book report for History this year. A summary outline which I must present and read, along with two project presentations along with the book. Though this isn't even due to the 24th of Oct. I think about it everyday. I stress about it everyday. I don't want things to end up like my freshman year. I wish I could forget about it for a while but I can't...

Sigh, sorry just had to vent somewhere. It's probably just a stupid thing to worry over anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not stupid to worry over, I think most if not all of us totally understand your fear. When I was 9th grade I had to get home tutored for the second half of the year too, because of my depression/anxiety. I think you should talk to a guidance counselor or someone about your concerns. If the idea of the presentations is affecting you this much, it's probably not worth it. It's probably actually hindering your ability to participate in school and learn. On the other hand, it would be great if you could face your fears and prove to yourself that you can do it; however if it's going to traumatize you, what's the point? It's up to you to discern whether or not you are capable at this point in life. Do you have a parent, or a therapist who can support you? Maybe they could help advocate for you to the school.

·
Registered
282 Posts
:agree with QuietOne. I just found out I have a presentation to do October 5. Ten minutes on a part of T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land". I'm not thinking of it now, so as not to freak out, but I probably should soon.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to get out of presentations in 9th grade, talked to my counseler. Yet.. in our state we are required to be able to present things or something similar. It's some kind of standard. My english teacher that year let me get away with not doing one presintation but not the others. I just didn't do the rest of them and stayed home the day we presented them.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yes I know the feeling of freaking out over it every single day up until you give the speech. ...That feeling like you're going to die or not get through it. But i faced every speech i had, and I got through it and lived to see the next day. If I can do it, you can to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have had speech class and a few classes that have require presentations. Somehow I got through them.

I am now aware that my last class (which isnt until spring) requires two presentations and I am already very anxious about it.

I plan on getting xanex to help me deal. Maybe medication is a good option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts