Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a presentation in a few weeks. I have to read an essay and interact with the class. In the past I usually put off presenting until the last possible moment and when I finally do it, I stand there with a trembling voice looking like i want to cry,making a fool of myself. This used to happen in high school but now that I am in college I'm hoping to develop more confidence in myself and be able to give better presentations bc professors aren't as understanding as teachers in high school. So I need some tips on how to give a good presentation and appear to be comfortable and confident instead of standing up there looking like I might break down at any moment

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
I would start by forming an outline for what you plan to discuss (such as in Word or Powerpoint) with bullets points.

Follow the Introduction, Supporting Detail (bullet points not body paragraph), and Conclusion structure with bullet points. Don't worry about complete sentences but give each bullet point a nearly coherent thought.

Each deck (presentation page) should have a "News Headliner" that you want to people to hear as the take home message of the page followed by bullet points that fill in the details of the headliner (and reminds you what to say). Don't be afraid to go back and forth between looking at your audience and the deck if you forget what to say.

Remember once you form your presentation material, stick to it. Do not stray. It's not an improv comedy act. Remember you are the dictator up there. Be slow and deliberate if you have to but stick to your script.

And don't forget what everyone else always says, relax and just take your time taking. Don't worry if you stutter. Smile too! Taking your time to deliberately talk is the best cure for nervousness. It's not really a stall tactic but allows you to get through bullet points and fill time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. You made a good point about just taking my time and I think the PowerPoint might really work for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts