Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate those oral presentations and having to read in class, those two things are killing my college career. I'm 24 and have a ton of credits but not in any particular major. English Compositon 2 is keeping me from earning a radiology technology degree, because presentations and reading aloud are part of the class. What's up with that?

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
Those dreaded speech and english classes are keeping me from getting my AA. I've tried taking em both and both I walked out of and didn't go back :afr

·
Registered
370 Posts
I figure everyone has a tough time with speeches, so I didn't really care how I did in those types of classes. I just focus on the material I have to say, and practice as much as possible, and I do ok. Well sometime bad and sometime good, but whatever. Nobody in class really pays attention anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's been holding me back my entire college career. I could have been done alot earlier.

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
I have a class next semester that requires a presentation and group work and I reall, really don't want to do it. It's a requirement for my major and I just feel like dropping my major or dropping out of school altogether.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've finished uni now but in my first year there was a presentation I had to do for a subject. Failed that subject because I decided not to go on the day of the presentation. Few years later I repeated the subject and passed. Was very difficult but it was such a relief when I got it over with. I don't think the other students really pay any attention to what you're saying anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know how you feel, i definetly find that my fear of presentations or any form of public speaking is holding me back for my future so much that i'm considering not applying to university altogether, it feels horribel :(
Oh well i guess i'll keep trying hard for a good job. It's just so annoying when SA makes your school life THAT much harder and even reading a little passage from a book gets me into a nervous wreak while everyone else is so calm and dont even care.
I'm considering telling some of my teachers about my SA and hopefully they might spare me from reading out loud in class.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Every time a presentation comes up I just go to my teacher. I've already talked to one of my teachers this semester who's requiring two presentations about an alternative to doing them and she was nice about it. I really can't deal with presentations and the agony of forcing myself to do them anymore.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I'm lucky in that I haven't had to do a real presentation since high school. In the science program here it's mostly just lectures, labs, and just a *tiny* bit of group work. I think I would die if I had to do an oral presentation thing. I don't know how I got through high school. I would just feel so much agony, to the point that it felt like the day of the presentation was actually the last day of my life, and I would never get beyond it. I do remember that once the presentation was over, I felt great....like I had come through the other side and lived to tell about it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can really identify with not wanting to do presentations!

I really got tired of having teachers tell me to "Speak Up" whenever I gave a presentation. Somehow it already sounds like I'm shouting to me but I'm actually speaking softly during presentations? I don't know how that works.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sheri said:
Every time a presentation comes up I just go to my teacher. I've already talked to one of my teachers this semester who's requiring two presentations about an alternative to doing them and she was nice about it. I really can't deal with presentations and the agony of forcing myself to do them anymore.
Me neither. But I don't think most teachers would allow students to opt out of presentations because they're too shy/nervous. They'd say that doing oral presentations in school will be useful in the long-run when you're out in the real world because it improves your communication skills. Or some crap like that.
I really really need to start working on a speech for next week that requires the use of several visual aids. It's like a presentation. I'm so scared, I get too anxious to even start researching and outlining, which really ends up just increasing my anxiety more and more each day. My advice for people doing presentations is start preparing early!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nyx said:
I have a class next semester that requires a presentation and group work and I reall, really don't want to do it. It's a requirement for my major and I just feel like dropping my major or dropping out of school altogether.
I did drop out of school because of speeches (mostly). Now I'm back in school and still don't know how I'm going to handle it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
emptybottle said:
They'd say that doing oral presentations in school will be useful in the long-run when you're out in the real world because it improves your communication skills. Or some crap like that.
Ugh, I know! One of my teachers recently said that. I hate how teachers always think the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. So untrue. All my life, teachers have said that, and I haven't improved at all.

In response to the topic title, oh god, yes. I don't have a presentation until next month but I'm already dreading it and it's already killing me inside! I'm already worrying about what to do, whether I should go or not, and if I do, the way people will look at me, how people's assumptions of me will change, etc. We can present from our seats but I KNOW people will stare back at me because someone ALWAYS does, and I hate it.

A speech class is also part of our general ed requirements and I plan to put that off as long as possible. Who knows, by my second year, I might be at another school that has other alternatives. I doubt that'll happen, but I have to have that option in mind because I can't stand the thought of me taking a speech class. It just can't happen. :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
Speeches are hard. :( I'm taking a required Communication course and we do a speech almost every week. What's worse, though, is that every class period the prof will make us arrange our desks around in a circle, so we're all staring at each other and there is no "back" of the classroom.

I realized that no one wanted to be in there. Every person in my class of 25 is anxious whenever they have to go up to the lectern. Even the most socially confident people are visibly nervous & sometimes shaking. I just take some valium an hour beforehand and remind myself that I don't have a choice. My speeches are probably pretty crappy, but no one cares. An advantage is that people feel like they know you a little better after they've heard you speak. :) I've made more 'friends' in that class than in any others, and we give each other a bit of moral support-- it's really nice.

Our class has a guaranteed 80+% grade on presentations-- so you as long as you make it through your presentations (no matter how crappy) and turn in your assignments, you're pretty much guaranteed a passing grade. I don't know if that's normal or not...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a presentation due Wednesday. 20 minutes, where you basically teach the class about a poem. T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land", Part 3. I have not read the whole poem, and I am considering withdrawing from said course, because this presentation junk was not on the syllabus. I just needed to get that out and tell someone.

Reactions: Albert11

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
i get really nervous about presentations, but ive had really good experiences with them. i usually make them funny(or try) to sort of lighten the tension i feel.

i had to do a presentation for spainish in college a few semesters back, all we had to do was give info on a latin country. but id get nervous just standing there talking so i wore a sombrero and dressed up like i was from mexico and i brought marracas (sp?) and to start, i played a spainish song and did some ridculous shake your booty dance while shaking the marracas. the class was basically in tears from laughing so hard and i felt much more at ease as i presented.

Reactions: Dying note

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Scrub Ducky said:
i had to do a presentation for spainish in college a few semesters back, all we had to do was give info on a latin country. but id get nervous just standing there talking so i wore a sombrero and dressed up like i was from mexico and i brought marracas (sp?) and to start, i played a spainish song and did some ridculous shake your booty dance while shaking the marracas. the class was basically in tears from laughing so hard and i felt much more at ease as i presented.
That is brilliant duck! :rofl
But for some reason I don't have all that hard of a time picturing you doing such a thing :lol

·
Registered
775 Posts
On my speech class, there's no lectern to stand behind, so I never know what to do with my hands. It seems like a small thing, but it greatly raises my anxiety level, especially since the professor takes off major points if you're fidgeting up there, not standing confidently, and not gesturing with your hands. I've seen other speech classes that meet at that same classroom and they're all allowed to stand behind a lectern.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts