Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it came time to present my digital art and have it critiqued by the class and professor. I went up and started to present. This exercise was for us to imitate the artist Barbara Kruger. Google her if you want some more imagery there. The piece was to use both imagery and text without being illustrative.

I started to explain my piece, and maybe I should have just shut my mouth, because almost immediately, I offended someone. The piece was a black/white grainy pic of prescription drugs, with the quote "I am not much a partier anymore. I prefer clarity much more." The woman was older and she had a bone to pick with what she thought was saying about prescription drugs. I was talking about abuse, and ideally, the only people who would get offended are abusers. I really thought the quote kinda put that connotation together. Alas, I offended her, and I felt on attack as she kept coming back to that. I wasn't explaining it well enough, and the anxiety was making it even harder to word a proper response anyway.

I can see why my first wording would have made her think I hated all prescription drugs, but I don't. I have SA and I can't exactly tell her that I would've loved anxiety meds right then and there as some kind of cushion. I can't properly defend myself and my art all the time, because I am shown resistance and I clam up, close off, and just want to leave the room, but I can't. That would do more harm than good, as it would draw even more attention to my discomfort.

What could I have done to reduce anxiety right then and there? What would you have done? This is by far not my worst presentation, that was in speech class. Still though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
what's done is done. the most important thing to remember with a disease like ours is to not dwell on the past. easier said than done but we still have to try. TRY to let it go:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts