Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a presentation tomorrow at work that I agreed to in a moment of weakness. I'm sure regretting that moment now! :eek:

I've done the presentation before, but last time I had a sidekick with me, so I could pass things off if I wasn't making any sense. Unfortunately, this time I'm all on my own. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should do some preparation (and get so anxious that I spend more time worrying than working) or just go in tomorrow and make it up as I go.

Any one have any ideas on how to work on it without freaking out about it?

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Congrats for doing it once before! Remind yourself that you've done it before, so you can do it again. I would do some preparation, if I was in your shoes. Is it a subject you know a lot about? If so, I guess you could get away with making it up as you go along, but I think preparing is always good. Good luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow, there is no way I could make it up as I go. That's like my worst nightmare! I am one of those write-it-as-you-would-say-it-then-memorise-it people :) But congrats for doing the last one, and as said above, you know you can do it now because you already have! It might be helpful to set yourself some specific preparation time, and then once you have prepared, just move on and think about something else.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the material pretty well, which is a huge advantage, otherwise I would be in seriously bad shape. I can ramble for awhile without really thinking about it, but then I think that I'm boring people and I freak out and try to switch to the next topic, and then forget where I was going and fall all over myself. Bah! Stupid presentation!

I guess tomorrow, one way or another, it will be done.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I have thought that I could make things up as I went and it didn't work out. I think a little preparation would be best.

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
Had a big one a couple of week ago as well and honestly the best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice and then a little bit more practice. Preparation is the key with these things because it will reduce the chances of you having mind blanks and forgetting and also help with your confidence beforehand.

Good luck!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Note cards are your friend!

I would just write some main points on the cards so then when you get off track, it can remind you what you are talking about. I tend to stutter, slur my words, and have trouble making eye contact. Plus holding the card gives me something to do with my hands.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's done... and I think it went alright.

I prepared a bit last night, then just went to bed. Then I got there today and started panicking because I was afraid I hadn't gone over it enough. I "cheated" a little bit and got the group to do some of the talking for me. That worked out pretty well, except when they drifted off topic. I'm not very good at interrupting people (because as long as they're talking, I don't have to and the attention isn't on me), but I managed to rein them in eventually. This group also seemed much more receptive than the last, which made me a lot more comfortable, because it didn't feel so much like they just wanted me to be quiet and go away.

I would say overall, it rates a: Yay Minus :D

And thanks to everyone for your support!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts