Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Presentation next Friday

642 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  veron 
#1 ·
At least it's not the kind where I'm at the front of the room with a microphone staring out to a sea of people. I have to present my concept for a tradeshow booth to a 3-star military general. It's just going to be me and my division in his swanky office but I'll be doing most of the talking since I'm pretty much the lead on this project. It's already producing anticipatory anxiety for a few reasons:

- The concepts haven't really been developed yet. I told my stupid *** manager to wait and schedule this meeting for next month but he went and scheduled it for next week anyway. Good going *******.

- I'm presenting to an ultra authoritative figure.

- It's not like there are any clear answers to my assignment. Everything came straight out of my head and onto the paper. Luckily, most military people aren't that into artistic stuff and whatever you show them they're like, "Wow, that's pretty neat! Hooah!"

- It's also a test from my immediate bosses in my dept. to see if I'm comfortable doing this kind of stuff. If I do well, later on down the road I'll be a candidate for management.

I guess all I can do is just review my key points as much as possible until they're automatic, clean myself up real nice and just be polite. Luckily I have some beta-blockers I can take before hand. If it weren't for that I wouldn't even be able to talk because of my heart going 200 bpm. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thought provoking it is!

I've found that the best way to handle these things is, as you've said, to prepare. In fact, prepare, prepare, prepare. Even though you've not much time, prepare as much as you can.

the concepts may be sketchy, but you still have the ideas in your mind.

Are you enthusiastic about the project itself? I hope so, because that will help. Show how into it you are. Ride the feeling of being enthusiastic about it. Get into it. Everyone, and I mean everyone, likes to hear someone talk about something that they are excited about.

I had to do a presentation of my artwork, several times. It's one subject I am passionate about, and it always went well. and that is sooo not like me.

You can do it too. Remember to breathe. Relaxation is so important when dealing with anything SA related.

And of course lastly, picture your audience in their underwear. Better yet, a pink tutu and some tights. perhaps a little tiara.

Good luck. You can do this.
Leo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.