Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, and stumbled upon it by searching up this god-awful disorder that I have that everyone just hates with a passion.

So, let me get started. I'm in Highschool and have a horrible case of SAD. It's like, no matter what I try I just can't get rid of it.

The worst fear that I have had this past month was Presentations. I'm doing well in terms of academics and have no problems with other students. Last Tuesday, I was assigned to do an oral presentation in front of the whole class, which is due tomorrow. I'm not much of a talker in school. It's not like I'm totally isolated, I do talk to several students and have acquaintances.

So our teacher wants the class all to come up and do a presentation on what we learned so far. I already know what to say, but I'm still worried. When I'm in big social situations like this, my mind just goes blank. I start to talk funny and talk low (and our teacher says we have to talk loud). I don't have lots of visible affects (I don't blush often and I don't noticeably shake in my legs or anything like that), but it's still awkward. I just don't know what to do.

It's not like I can just say to our teacher that I don't have the materials for the presentation. I don't want to run away from this, but it's tough.

Is there anything that can help me with this? Like some motivation? Personal stories similar to this from you guys would be nice also, if you have some

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, if you fail like I did(more than once) it's not the end of the world. You'll either succeed and be more confident, and if not you'll realize it wasn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think it's pretty normal to be nervous about presentations, so I think you will be fine. Most of my high school presentations were complete disasters, but I survived, and it sounds like your not even all that bad at presentations anyways.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've got some coming up and worry about the same stuff. I'm trying not to worry about it because I'm starting to think it's not that big of a deal and not worth all the stress. Nearly everyone is at least a little nervous about them so it's not like anyone's gonna being judging you harshly or gonna make fun of you if you don't do it perfectly. Prepare well and practice and you should do fine. Think of it as practice towards getting better with them and public speaking in general.

·
Abendfuchs
1,357 Posts
What helped me in college was to prepare and rehearse a little, I'd write down exactly what I wanted to say, and divide it up into logical parts. Then if I get frozen, I just look at my note card to remind myself of the next thing.

For the fear, I just reminded myself that the fear itself would not harm me, and that it was just an obstacle I had to push through.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
I think most people, SA or not, don't like doing presentations to groups, in school or otherwise, and it is normal for people to feel uncomfortable and their voice and speaking pattern to change as a result. However it is unlikely anybody is going to be paying enough attention to actually notice this, and besides they wouldn't care if they did, so just try worry about it and just say what you are supposed to say and then it's over and you can think about other things.

·
SAS Member
2,346 Posts
It's normal to get nervous about presentations. What's helped me is rehearsing what I'm going to say, both in the mirror and to a friend or family member and I always have note cards with points of what I want to say. I don't read the notecards I use them as a guide. Good luck on your presentation! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts