Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing new vegie patch. + Photos

Today I dug up 9 square metres of grass covered ground that runs along the edge of the backyard fence today.

Tomorrow I'm getting 1 Tonne of Organic Mix Soil delivered and I'll be filling up the excavated area.

And on Thursday I'll buy a few bags of Organic Compost.

My plan is to go to this awesome Organic fruit & Vegie shop on Friday and purchase a few bulbs of an awesome variety of Organic Garlic and I'll use that to plant garlic all along the bed.
My family and I love garlic and use it a lot so this will be an awesome thing to plant.

Also, I might plant potatoes too :D

I just wanted to let you know about this because gardening brings so much happiness to my life and a sense of purpose. Especially when you harvest the crop and then have all this good stuff that you can then give to family or maybe even sell at the local market.

Sense of purpose guys, and also to curb the boredom I get during the day.

I'm very excited!

P.S. What else is awesome about this is when people ask me that ****ty question, 'What do you do?'. Instead of saying unemployed or a 'Student of Life' ROFL. I can say, I'm a Garlic Farmer LOL. Genius!

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
that's great!
I am growing tomatoes at the moment :)

·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's great!
I am growing tomatoes at the moment :)
Awesome :) What kind of tomatoes?
We've got a few random cherry tomato shrubs around the place but they kinda popped up accidentally from scraps of food buried in the ground.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I live in an apartment, but I want to get a windowbox and grow flowers or herbs. The only issue is that I'm pretty sure my window gets too much direct sunlight to grow anything.

·
sad panda
675 Posts
That's great! I love gardening so much. We had a really nice garden growing with tons of veggies and melons, and it was doing so well until a huge hailstorm completely devastated it :( I worked so hard on it!! Good luck on your gardening, hopefully you have better luck :)

·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a photo of the bed :)

The sneaky magpies were eating my poor worms when I went down to take a photo of it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks good! Can't wait to see updated pictures of your patch growing (hint hint).

This might sound silly but I've heard of people tying old cds with string to branches to get rid of birds...birds don't like sharp movements and the reflection of light with the cds scares them off. I know someone else who bought some plastic/rubber toy snakes to ward off birds...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Today I dug up 9 square metres of grass covered ground that runs along the edge of the backyard fence today.

Tomorrow I'm getting 1 Tonne of Organic Mix Soil delivered and I'll be filling up the excavated area.

And on Thursday I'll buy a few bags of Organic Compost.

My plan is to go to this awesome Organic fruit & Vegie shop on Friday and purchase a few bulbs of an awesome variety of Organic Garlic and I'll use that to plant garlic all along the bed.
My family and I love garlic and use it a lot so this will be an awesome thing to plant.

Also, I might plant potatoes too :D

I just wanted to let you know about this because gardening brings so much happiness to my life and a sense of purpose. Especially when you harvest the crop and then have all this good stuff that you can then give to family or maybe even sell at the local market.

Sense of purpose guys, and also to curb the boredom I get during the day.

I'm very excited!

P.S. What else is awesome about this is when people ask me that ****ty question, 'What do you do?'. Instead of saying unemployed or a 'Student of Life' ROFL. I can say, I'm a Garlic Farmer LOL. Genius!
My neighbors are garlic growers and they sell heaps of produce at the farmers market every Saturday, with garlic in them; relishes, sauces, pickled garlic and garlic jelly, now what to you do with garlic jelly? I still dont know.

I prefer italian garlic, small and purplish skins and stronger, neighbors grow russian garlic, per clove is much much bigger, like garlic on steriods.

I'm growing italian garlic. Last year I grew russian garlic and put in the mincer and bottled it with oil to preserve and have it all year round.

I'm a garlic lover. I had a meal not long ago that had 10 cloves in it.
Tasty but stinky, my blood will be healthy.

·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just planted 4 rows of garlic and 6 rows of spring onions ^_^
Also added compost since that first photo and the cute lil fence there which is to stop the balls my niece and nephew play with from annihilating my future crop when they roll down the slope.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I was going to say, by your palms you live in the tropics, and I see you live in the warmer parts of Aussie. Where I am, our indoors plants are your trees.

·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to say, by your palms you live in the tropics, and I see you live in the warmer parts of Aussie. Where I am, our indoors plants are your trees.
Hehe. Yeah, it's starting to warm up a bit lately and I took that shot at 12 noon, it was really bright.

Thanks for checking out the thread everyone.
In future when the garden is blooming with all sorts of vegetables I'll post up a pic.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
That's so fun. I'm excited to see how your garden looks whe everything starts growing. Also: mmmm, garlic.

I have a pretty extensive herb garden but I haven't taken the leap into veggies yet.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
That's really awesome! I want to start gardening this year (I'm gonna grow stuff indoors first and see how that goes, haha).

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
that looks like so much fun - i can't wait to have a yard someday. i want to grow all kinds of things.

yeah, keep us posted on how it's growing - i can at least vicariously experience it through your pictures. :)

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I have a 3.33m x 4m garden behind my house. I grow corn, mint, watermelon, an unknown white melon, raspberries, and am trying to grow blueberries and strawberries. I'll take a picture this weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts