Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure i know the answer to this already, but how many of you prefer to text message or email someone given the option, as opposed to calling someone?

it seems like everyone does it nowadays due to laziness or whatever reason, but for me, it's usually because it is easier that way and makes me less anxious. It's definitely a crutch.
Today i forced myself to call someone because we were texting each other and it was taking forever and it was unclear what was going on.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Yes I prefer email/text over phone calls. Phone calls are designed for synchronous communication, email/text asynchronous. I like thinking before I say something and I like resting from talking without it feeling like a penalty.

·
Registered
360 Posts
if it's a friend i feel pretty much comfortable with than I would rather call. If it's someone i don't know well i would rather text. If it's my husband and we are fighting i like to text, that way i don't get mixed up with all the angry thoughts in my head and tend to say what i want better to get my point across and not be overwhelmed with his "sales person" tactics

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
dont have a cell phone. I avoid the phone unless there is no choice. Answering machines are my enemy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, I'd much rather text than call someone. Calling someone is like a last resort for me. I hate talking on the phone. I procastinate making important phone calls all the time. I a lot of times have to hype myself up to make a call.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Texting is definitely easier but I've built up some phone confidence. If I'm calling a girl sometimes I make a list of things to talk about incase the feared *awkward silence* happens, and it helps.:boogie

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't have a problem using the phone, it'd be faster and easier to use than an email. I've never texted before, don't really have anyone to text plus I think using the phone is easier, at least on the fingers. :p

·
Trapped
322 Posts
I prefer email over phones, although I can use a phone if I absololutely have to. I have never ever sent a text message but I guess that would be sort of the same as email, only difference is that the person you text might decide to call you back instead of just respond.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
The phone is the worst invention ever!!

I hope to see the day when the phone becomes a last resort for communication in the work place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would much rather text or e-mail than talk on the phone. I hate the phone and I avoid answering it as much as possible. When I text I can take the time to make sure I'm saying the right thing instead of getting nervous.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I would rather do that than call anyone, I despise the phone with a passion and would rather have a root canal than pick up my phone.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Definitely, I really hate the phone. It's ironic because when I was really young (before SA), I would be one the phone with one friend or another ALL the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh my. I always prefer texting or emailing someone before I ever consider picking up a phone. In fact, I put things off because of the phone. I don't make the appointments I need to because I don't want to make the phone call. It's like I'm afraid of the phone. I didn't go to the dentist for like 4 years because I didn't want to make the phone call. I kept telling myself that it was because I was too busy or just kept forgetting. Denial...
I have to call 1800petmeds to get my dog's prescription for heartworm preventative. I think he's been 4 months without it. I'm so worried about him but I still haven't made the phone call. I know there's a website...but it's a 2-year prescription and they already have the piece of paper and my stupid vet won't verify when they call them, so I either have to call the vet and have them fax a new one or I have to call 1800petmeds to growl at someone to get them to send me a refill....I'm so putting that off!

·
socially disabled
276 Posts
ive lost alot of friends and girls because i don't pick up my phone or call them, they think im not interested... when somebody calls me i send it to voice mail and send a text asking "did you call?" lol i do this ALL the time. every body is always asking y i never pick up my phone but i always respond to text quickly lol

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I would rather do that than call anyone, I despise the phone with a passion and would rather have a root canal than pick up my phone.
:lol Well I don't know if I'd take a root canal over the phone, but I'm definitely with the majority here in that I HATE the phone. For me, talking on the phone is exhausting - literally, it's such a strain on my SA it physically tires me.

I'd rather talk to someone in person than deal with them on the phone.

Email/Text is the best (if practicing avoidance, anyway) because it's OK to have delays in communication.. I can give thought to what I want to say.

That's not the case in person, but at least there's body language. I like being able to look into someone's eyes and read their nonverbal communication... those awkward silences can be made a little less awkward.

On the phone, you get none of the above. No phone calls please!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts