Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Social Virgin
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like you're nobody unless you're associated with other people. Be it a company, an organization, an establishment, a culture, a tradition, etc.

Like they say, "No man's an island."

It feels like all the power's in the hands of the collective instead of the individual. We may not like to admit it, but we're greatly influenced by other people. They affect what we wear, what's in style, our interests, our brands, our ideologies, etc. There's a reason why we can call the 90s the 90s and have a "theme" for every era.

If we were wild, antisocial animals then we wouldn't have all that we have today. There'd be no history and tradition to build on. There'd be no study of science for Einstein to derive energy and relativity from. There'd be no culture for us to satirize and build on. People wouldn't be who they are today if things were like that.

So it just stinks when you find yourself outside of that process, that natural process. We realize and achieve our potential when we're around other people. We get exposed to so much information and we could do whatever we want with it. We can adhere to it (be part of a community or clique). We can contemplate and reject it (be against an ideology). And so much more.

But if you're just by yourself all the time, then you never get to develop. There's supposedly a social part of our brains. We can also see that we're biologically disposed to be with other people (sex).

Feels bad man. :(

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
I thought this was a thread about math...

But yes, the mere want to be accepted by others means that the powers that be will have an influence on you. But you shouldn't feel bad about it, you don't want to be eaten alive like a gazelle or something, do you?

·
A Tenenbaum
147 Posts
I really enjoyed your post. Made me think quite a bit.

I agree that everything is group-oriented. Society moves forwards and people shape each other for better or worse through different cultures. From family to friends, most people belong to these structures for developing who they are.

The curious thing is, how can someone exist in such a society but belong to no such group? I find it interesting how I go through my day and almost everyone I see is traveling in a herd. Yet, I am just doing my own thing. Part of this is my fault, admittedly. However, some of it just seems unavoidable.

So, am I the issue? Is there just something that people don't quite get about me which prompts them to not include me? Or am I just a different type of person. Not quite meant to fit in with any mainstream group.

·
Banned
907 Posts
I think humans are just social by nature...so its understandable for anyone who has trouble fitting in to feel a bit of emptiness and discontentment.. humans are just hardwired to need eachother in some way....I dont think we'd have vocal chords capable of such articulate sound if we werent meant to communicate/socialize with eachother.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They do say you are a collection of the five closest people to you. I hope you do not feel alone thought my friend. We, here on this forum, are all apart of a community. Let's go make magic happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts