Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2181 - 2200 of 2213 Posts

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
@Myosr

Interesting I haven't heard anything by them. I'm not as keen on her clean vocals but they're OK. That's my knee jerk reaction anyway they could grow on me. I often like a mix of vocal styles though. I like the way Maria Brink from In This Moment blends stuff (I've posted their music a lot before too though):

But I guess I also like some of their songs because of the juxtapositions. It's a bit like this:

I think I posted these two before, but I like the first second (literally the first second) of this song too:
Oh yeah I have that with some music tracks where I really like the open although it's usually more like 10 or so seconds that I like.

·
customusertitle
783 Posts
@Persephone The Dread

hm. never heard them before. I like the screamy undertone in their singing. I liked the second song. Also interesting music video for the first one.

edit: wait, you added more. Let me listen, lol.

okay, the third one is great. The music video's a bit scary, lol, I don't know. I don't bump into this kind of music often, but it's interesting. I laughed when she bumped his head or whatever she did ~ 4:00.

the last one's pretty good too. Don't know the original, but this one sounds cooler.

---

I think my taste is more boring.

My favorite use of multiple vocals is probably by Swallow the Sun. Though they use two people so it's not the same thing.

I think this song is particularly memorable because I remember listening to it during my emotional fasting year and had to "academically" discuss it with someone because I wasn't allowing myself to just say I like it, lol.

It's about a father drowning his daughter in a lake. I think the album has a larger story, but I never bothered examining all the songs. There are two different voices for the father (the growly one and the death-metallic one).

It's also sad, because the female vocalist actually died young, and a lot of her songs are sad, so it feels more real somehow, and the comments are always "RIP Aleyah" which makes me sad.

I sort of know you won't like the song, ehm, but I guess we've been talking about it in the other thread, so I'll probably need to think about it more there.

I sort of get drawn into relating to the childish despair in her voice. Also, like how she keeps monotonically repeating the last part. Not sure if it counts as sexism if I insert myself in her place. probably. I guess it would've been more epic if she could do growls too and there could be more conflict in the song, but feminine growls are almost none existent in doom.

Father, why did you drown me here?
In these waters
And father, why did you leave me here?
In deep waters
Father, it's getting darker here as the years pass
And father, I'm the whispers on the lake
Lights on water

My child, I carry the burden of sorrow with your soul
The songs you gently sing to me
But the love was never stronger
than the grief of your unholy price

I curse you forever in your watery grave, you passenger of evil
For taking her away from me
The blood of your arrival, cutting knives and shadows
A ceremony of pain
Through living flesh to the dead, both in my bloody hands
But only one cried

In blazing fury I carried you through the woods
While the trees tried to stop me in horror
Your cry echoed on the lake as I laid you down on the boat

The tears made circles on the still, the circles made the waves
The waves raised the tide and made rain fall
Raised the lights on the lake

Through the mist, further on the lake
In the eye of still water
Into the deepest pit you silently fell
Slowly in the throat of dark water

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've always loved this track. I mean ancient Egyptian mythology is cool. But beyond that, I always felt like the gods from all the different religions were such dicks. Obviously the old pagan gods of different countries were supposed to be imperfect, but even the Christian god is a colossal jerk. So the idea of a "Slayer of the Gods" always really appealed to me, like some uber-anti-hero more powerful than even an omnipotent being, who could just strike them all down and free mankind from the oppression of gods once and for all... Too bad it couldn't be that simple. We've enslaved ourselves; how can that oppression ever end?

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
Yeah I still think the complaints about her vocals are exaggerated.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
This song/album isn't exactly metal but you can hear the influence:

posted some other tracks from it before in different threads, but don't think I've posted this track. It's very good though.

·
customusertitle
783 Posts
@Persephone The Dread

I like the song. Not sure it's a coincidence, but the song I posted right before you is by a Katatonia side-project (October Tide). : P

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
@Persephone The Dread

I like the song. Not sure it's a coincidence, but the song I posted right before you is by a Katatonia side-project (October Tide). : P
Oh I didn't know that I've never heard of that side project lol. I like some of Katatonia's tracks.

This one is actually metal:

·
customusertitle
783 Posts
@Persephone The Dread

Yeah these sound good. YT algorithm has been recommending this second one for years I think (or some songs from the same album), I recognize the dead bird.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
@Myosr

Interesting I haven't heard anything by them. I'm not as keen on her clean vocals but they're OK. That's my knee jerk reaction anyway they could grow on me.
Actually her clean vocals have grown on me, or maybe I just like this song + her work in Arch Enemy. Also she has three (four?) 'levels' (that's definitely a technical music term :') ) in this song which is actually great.

Here her vocals remind me of some female fronted psychedelic/occult rock bands like:

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,333 Posts
Metal is generally not my thing and I'm not sure if this counts as metal but...

·
customusertitle
783 Posts

I won`t burn in their hell
`cause I got ... mine ... mine to live

I swallowed my tears
I hid them in oblivion
I dive ... dive into spells
To taste new clear ... religion

♫ :heart (4:57 - 5:12)

Shall I hold innocence again...?

2181 - 2200 of 2213 Posts