Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of us over analyze our interactions due to SA. My recent ones:

I decided to talk to a guy sitting next to me in class one day. My stomach was fluttery and I hoped I didn't seem weird.

I met a friend of my mom's last weekend and I was trying hard to sound intelligent and articulate so I could impress her a bit.

In California, the fast food joints ask your name whenever you order. It annoys the hell out of me, especially at places I eat at frequently.

When I'm out on a date, I try hard to not slip up and sound dumb. (and this prevents me from loosening up a bit)

We had to introduce ourselves in class last week and after it was over, I left class hoping everyone forgot what my voice sounded like.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
When talking on the phone I over analyze what I'm going to say as the phone is ringing, then the person picks up and I usually forget what I was going to say. I also over analyze the silent pauses during phone conversations, even though I know they are normal and probably not awkward for the person on the other end of the line.

Anyone time someone is abrupt I over analyze and assume they are mad at me or in a bad mood.

When someone tells me I did something wrong I immediately assume they are mad at me or upset.

When someone says something and I can't understand them or hear them and have to ask them to repeat what they said they usually use a different tone of voice which leads me to believe they are angry.

Like with you, classroom introductions give me problems. I'm okay if I go first or second, but if I'm towards the end of the class I repeat over and over what I'm going to say, and as I do it over and over again the anxiety builds up making it harder to do.

Any time a girl shows any sort of interest (even if the interest is just in my head) I won't make eye contact or acknowledge her at all. It's strange.

Simple hellos even give me issues sometimes. I assume that if another person doesn't say hi to me then they are made at me or in a bad mood, so I don't talk to them. I've been trying to greet people first instead, but sometimes it's difficult.

I could go on and on and on. Nothing I do socially is natural, and I over analyze every situation.

·
text ghost
719 Posts
The 'new guy' that started working with us a month and a half ago never says hi or talks to me when I work with him once a week. I was afraid that somehow he noticed the fact that I'm awkward around guys, and maybe I creeped him out somehow. Now I'm just mad because I'm fine with EVERYONE ELSE and the only time when I'm uncomfortable at work is when he comes in. He destroyed my happy place :(

When I think a guy's attractive, I never know if I should look at him or pretend not to see him so that I won't creep him out.

When someone talks to me and then says NOTHING EVER AGAIN. Do I take the next step or something? .-.

When someone recognizes me. I'm extremely bad with remembering faces.

Also when I think I recognize someone and want to say hi, or at least, don't want to seem rude by ignoring them.

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When talking on the phone I over analyze what I'm going to say as the phone is ringing, then the person picks up and I usually forget what I was going to say. I also over analyze the silent pauses during phone conversations, even though I know they are normal and probably not awkward for the person on the other end of the line.

Anyone time someone is abrupt I over analyze and assume they are mad at me or in a bad mood.

When someone tells me I did something wrong I immediately assume they are mad at me or upset.

When someone says something and I can't understand them or hear them and have to ask them to repeat what they said they usually use a different tone of voice which leads me to believe they are angry.

Like with you, classroom introductions give me problems. I'm okay if I go first or second, but if I'm towards the end of the class I repeat over and over what I'm going to say, and as I do it over and over again the anxiety builds up making it harder to do.

Any time a girl shows any sort of interest (even if the interest is just in my head) I won't make eye contact or acknowledge her at all. It's strange.

Simple hellos even give me issues sometimes. I assume that if another person doesn't say hi to me then they are made at me or in a bad mood, so I don't talk to them. I've been trying to greet people first instead, but sometimes it's difficult.

I could go on and on and on. Nothing I do socially is natural, and I over analyze every situation.
Thank you for the post, doll. I can relate.

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
Ahhh, saying bye or thank you. I will think I sound weird or it comes out and they can barely hear me. Like when someone opens a door for me and I do say thanks but I sometimes I don't think they hear me.

Making appointment sometimes...I think I'm getting better but sometimes I stumble over words.

Of course I over-analyze when I like someone. Make sure my body language is correct.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
Pretty much everything.

In California, the fast food joints ask your name whenever you order. It annoys the hell out of me, especially at places I eat at frequently.
dafuq...

Sounds like they be on some stalker type of **** down there.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
That would be all of them, but I haven't had any recently. The things I've been thinking back to have mostly been from when I was visiting family for Christmas because I haven't really interacted with people since then. For example, I said that the mini tent my cousin's kid got for Christmas was like "an instant fort", and that was dumb because it actually takes some amount of assembly and so is not so instant. Making a blanket fort might be quicker and easier.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I've never gone first, so I don't really know how that is, but god does it get worse with waiting and rehearsing. I'll go into a class feeling like I'll be okay if I have to do it and then by the time I have to speak I'm contemplating whether I'd rather make a run for the door in front of everyone, even though if someone just turned to me and asked me those questions I would probably only get slightly nervous at this point in my life (as long as they were asking me things like my name and major, and not "tell me something interesting about yourself").

·
Haruhi
570 Posts
not a social interaction but at my fish shop, they said see you next time and i went to wave bye but i forgot i had money in my hand so i ended up waving the peace sign, since other fingers was holding onto the money.

i am worried now they may have mistaken it as the rude finger, it's been on my mind ever since =(.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
I honestly don't care much about social interactions because I don't what way they turn out. But I over analyze my performances in my mind. Like I had a showcase almost a month ago and I am still analyzing what I should have done that night.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
I've gotten over a lot of the over-analyzing that I used to do. But yesterday I got it. I was walking into the Apple store that's in the mall, which is crowded full of excited customers trying out all the toys, and full of the employees which try to talk to everyone. I walked in all flustered by the crowds, and a really cute employee at the doorway said hi and smiled, I of course smiled back, but I didn't stop as I was looking for something specific. On my way past him he asked a question which I didn't hear, so I spun around and said "what", but he just shook his head and looked away. Simple and meaningless situation, right? Nope, my SA just overwhelmed me, and I ended up exiting the store without even looking because I just got too distracted. Then the rest of the ride home I was beating myself up about making a fool of myself in front of a cute guy, what he must have thought about it - did he think I was stupid or deaf or..

Completely irrational response on my part. But, I couldn't help it, like most situations where we over-analyze.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts