Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going to the Psych about 18 months, and am on Effexor 75mg x2 a day, and Xanax "as needed" mainly for night. I've had off and on insomnia and gone through them all...ambien, lunestar, rozerem...

I know asking for any medication is a red flag, and I don't want to embarrass myself because she has helped... but my parents gave me the rest of their "Roxycodone" and it helped with my night time trouble. I've been taking it for a few weeks and I have no stress or worries, and get a full nights rest.

Is this possible instead of the Xanax.. I'm not too fond of it, and I think its working better.

Looking for advice, or what to say.... or ??

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You're almost certainly not going to be getting a prescription for oxycodone for your sleep or anxiety issues. Sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright.. seen it talked about on here and other places.

effexor just makes me sick as hell when i miss 1 pill, and xanax makes me anti social... looking for something that will work.. so far this has.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Opioids work great, but they are just too taboo for any doctor to actually use them for psychiatric reasons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah which sucks... but thats what i figured... just trying to hold out hope for some clarity ..to say..

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You have more chance of getting directly hit by a 747 plane than getting prescribed oxy for anything but chronic, unrelenting pain. You might as well ask for heroin, 'cause it's pretty much the same thing.

Opioids work wonders for depression and anxiety, but unfortunately there is the issue of tolerance and dose-escalation. If you could afford to keep upping your dose year on year (or had a way to prevent tolerance), maybe opioids would be an option.

Also, it is very likely you will experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop after 2 weeks of use. Might as well get it over with now.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
You have more chance of getting directly hit by a 747 plane than getting prescribed oxy for anything but chronic, unrelenting pain. You might as well ask for heroin, 'cause it's pretty much the same thing.
Even you know that's an exaggeration at least in terms of how they are used. Junkies shoot heroin directly into a vein to get a high as rapidly as possible. And I do realize that heroin (diacetylmorphine) is simply a modified version of morphine that enters the brain even faster so you have a very fast acting drug administered in the most rapid manner possible. Taking oxy orally isn't going to be the same thing, which probably explains why junkies will do things like snort it or try making it into a solution to use IV to get the ultra-rapid rush they are looking for.

Opioids work wonders for depression and anxiety, but unfortunately there is the issue of tolerance and dose-escalation. If you could afford to keep upping your dose year on year (or had a way to prevent tolerance), maybe opioids would be an option.
Given that opioids have no upper limit on dosage what exactly would be the problem with dose-escalation (if we lived in a world where they were readily available to anxiety patients in unlimited amount)? Dose is only limited by how much will kill you. Those who are used to opioids can easily take huge amounts that would kill me since I'm not.

I agree he has a snowball's chance in hell of getting oxy for anything other than pain and even then it's not easy. Anybody who thinks oxy is handed out like candy has been brain washed by the media. It's not at all easy to get.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Even you know that's an exaggeration at least in terms of how they are used.
Yeah, but it's probably how the doc will see it.

Junkies shoot heroin directly into a vein to get a high as rapidly as possible. And I do realize that heroin (diacetylmorphine) is simply a modified version of morphine that enters the brain even faster so you have a very fast acting drug administered in the most rapid manner possible. Taking oxy orally isn't going to be the same thing, which probably explains why junkies will do things like snort it or try making it into a solution to use IV to get the ultra-rapid rush they are looking for.
There are quite a lot of people that smoke heroin too. Dunno about orally; I personally wouldn't touch street drugs with a ten foot pole due to all the crap they're cut with.

Given that opioids have no upper limit on dosage what exactly would be the problem with dose-escalation (if we lived in a world where they were readily available to anxiety patients in unlimited amount)?
If that was the case, I'd take oxy myself. Unfortunately, they're extortionately expensive, whether you're the one paying or the government. Also, if you kept on raising dose, I'm not sure if you'd eventually run out of opioid receptors due to extreme down-regulation.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
There is indeed an upper limit AFAIK. Even if you had unlimited supply I think after many months you would just feel "normal" when using Oxy-doses that would kill another person without tolerance instantly.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
What we need is a pill that combines low-dose ketamine (or high dose magnesium), proglumide, an antihistamine, some sort of beta arrestin antagonist, and of course the actual opioid. With all that, I bet you could feel high as a kite for your entire life.

I think in the not-so-distant future, we will see combo pills like that appearing.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
There are quite a lot of people that smoke heroin too. Dunno about orally; I personally wouldn't touch street drugs with a ten foot pole due to all the crap they're cut with.
I'm not certain, but I thought if taken orally heroin was just metabolized into morphine such that it would be equal to swallowing a morphine tablet. If accurate, that could explain why one never hears of heroin being consumed orally.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
DiaMo Narcotics Ltd. produces/produced diacetylmorphine (heroine) tablets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts