Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly I am not sure if this is the truth, as I've never been diagnosed and do not wish to speak to my therapist for fear of going on medication again. Therefore, if the descriptions below match these disorders, or if you have questions or self diagnoses things to ask/give me, please do.

So, to begin... bipolarism, the one with the most evidence:

I attempted suicide at age 12 after previously contemplating self harm since the age of eight, after being in therapy for a year, and after dealing with an abusive parent for two. It began at age 8 with natural illness and lethargy that lead to a feeling of being physically and emotionally drained at all times. I failed this attempt and was taken to the hospital. I remained there for four-five days and then left, taking antidepressants daily for some time.

I continued to do so for several weeks, keeping up bi-weekly appointments with the hospital's psychiatrist and my own private therapist, though about six weeks in I began to feel far more uplifted suddenly, beyond any degree of normality and well beyond what an antidepressant could cause. I went to speak to my psychiatrist and my mother voiced THIS concern to him, only for him to declare it wasn't worth properly discussing and dismissed my concerns only to say it was "not mania because (I wasn't) taking risks."

This mania faded away soon after this anyway, and it wasn't until about two years later that I was off the medication for good. Even still I've been known to suffer from mood swings, I suffer from intense periods of letargy and insomnia followed by periods of slightly less intense highs. I'm a writer, so it's during these highs that I am the most productive. I also become immensely drained rather quickly, requiring mid-day naps and early sleeps to maintain the high.

Beyond bipolarism, I've felt a sense of nonreality from time to time, nothing major but simply a near-dreamlike states as I go about my daily life.This does not mean I hallucinate, I just feel detached from reality while interacting with it. These things happen in both my highs and lows, so I'm not sure if it's something else or not.

·
In my mind
154 Posts
look i dont know if im bipolar too or not...
even tho my father has been diagnosed with it..

you can read about me and take your own conclusion:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...psycochis-what-it-really-is-and-what-1042537/

I sure have a lot of simptons..
drug abuse among them..
super happy and loving vs super angry and depressed..

and fo rme what it all boils down to is..
I am how i am

I am not interest in kowing if i am bipolar or this or that
those are just words.. just things people made up to describ other persons..

so just be your self and do your best to be happy

stop thinking about what you are or are not..
even if you are bipolar..
are all bipolar equal? .. no..
are all people with this or that equal? .. no..

so really.. **** it.. who gives a ****?

i am who i am.. what ever you wanna call it..
i'm not special..
i'm not an alien..
i'm just another person.. and i have my good and bad things.. just like everyone else..

and any1 that tells you diferent is just lieing..
even psiquiatrist have problems.. no1 is perfect..
so just acept it.
and stop puting rotules in yourself or anyother person..

·
ScrewedUp
43 Posts
I recently left a job at a group home. One of my clients had really out of control bipolar and schizophrenia. Some of your symptoms match hers but not to the same degree. When she was on her high she was full of energy. Constantly up and moving and hardly ever sleeping. On her lows she was depressed, irritable, and hardly left her bed. Among other things caused by schizophrenia of course. So I guess what I'm getting at is you may have it but from your description it sounds mild. I'm no expert of course so if you would really like to know you should talk to someone. If you don't want to take meds they can't force you to now that you're old enough to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It sounds more like borderline personality disorder to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have bipolar II, and what you're describing sounds pretty close to the symptoms I had when I was diagnosed. The dreamlike states might be a mild form of disassociation, which I also get and have been told can be part of bipolar. I'm not a doctor and have no training, so this could be totally wrong, I'm just going off of my personal experience!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It couldn't have been mania if you slept... So it could've just been teenage hormones gone wild, most people (if not all) with mania don't sleep, at all or very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts