Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you people get up the courage to do it? I really want to because it's another fear I want to get over, but it's just like AHHH, pic of myself online!!! Forever!! And what if someone I kinda know finds it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know what you mean, I don't really care if people know what I look like and I don't mind posting my pic privately...but to have it out there on a public forum where anyone can see it would freak me out a bit, because I'd be worried someone from real life would see it and that would then tie me in to my username and all my weird posts, etc.

Don't forget though, you can just post a pic for a limited time and then delete it...that way only a special few would get to see it :)

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Don't forget though, you can just post a pic for a limited time and then delete it...that way only a special few would get to see it :)
Yup, my plans exactly!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I find being absolutely ridiculous on purpose gets rid of any fear I have of posting a picture.

Like this one.. its fairly old but.. enjoy? Haha.

·
Not wearing pants
387 Posts
Gordon 2108, you just made my day!

Posting pictures is terrifying. TAKING pictures is terrifying. I put one up of myself a few minutes ago in the picture thread where my face is visible and I'm still shaking.:afr I'm trying to convince myself that nobody I know in real life would be browsing social anxiety forums and if they did then they wouldn't recognize me without my glasses, but still....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, great one Gordon. Just need a couple more good reasons and I think I'll do it. I'm gonna leave the stoop!!!

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I find being absolutely ridiculous on purpose gets rid of any fear I have of posting a picture.

Sexeh!

I posted a pic of my face in the pictures thread after thinking about it for ages. Then I got all freaked out and deleted it. A bit later I posted two pics, one of my back and one in which I'm hiding behind a toy bunny. Show as much or as little as you're happy with :)

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
yup, this was very difficult for me. from using the computer from age.. 11 until age 19 i didn't post a picture of myself. first time posting a clear picture of myself on facebook was after a few years of having it. and only about a couple months ago i posted more pictures and i actually posted them online on forums (here included). everyone was always bothering me about it. the very first time i did it i got a severe panic attack, hahaha. seems silly.
i know how you feel though. i'm incredibly selective of which pictures of me are suitable to post. in fact i untag myself in the majority of any pictures others post of me on fb.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
For me it's not a big deal to post my picture on this site. The chances that someone I know would actually see my picture (and recognize me) on here are pretty low. Even if they do I don't really care...what would they be doing browsing this forum anyways? Chances are they would never mention it even if they did recognize me.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I have trouble posting new pics of myself, because I think I look repulsive in them. I know what you mean, it's really hard (I just removed a new pic I posted earlier today, because I couldn't bear having other people look at it.)

I've never been the most photogenetic person, either. I look better in person.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I was really worried about it at first, but it got easier over time. I don't think I could make my avatar a picture of myself, or post my picture in it's own thread or anything. I don't mind posting it in the right NOW thread becasue it ends up being buried in the hundreds of back pages that no one looks at pretty quickly.

My main incentive for originally posting a picture was to feel like a part of this community: to put a face to my name and hopefully become a marginally recognizable username.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
My main incentive for originally posting a picture was to feel like a part of this community: to put a face to my name and hopefully become a marginally recognizable username.
I was going to say something along those lines but you said it much better.

As for being recognized, well -- awkward but not the end of the world. Maybe they would understand me a little better.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes posting pictures is hard for me.

Oh by the way here are 186 pictures of me-
vanity
:lol

No, I have no problem posting pics. Everyone I know has probably already seen them. I'm not afraid of them finding me on here either as I don't care if they know I have SAD, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, it's an actual disorder. Would a blind guy be embarrassed about being blind?

Heh, Gordon I think we shop at the same dress shop.

On the right.

Those are from a year ago. Got my hair cut and donated it to Locks of Love, then dyed my hair black, then shaved it off bald. Has grown down into my eyes since then. (you can see all this in the above link)

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Sometimes it a matter of being able to laugh at yourself. Unfortunately, we tend to be hyper critical of how we look. We see all the little flaws that no one else notices.

Gordon and Brian, That's a good look for you both. Here's my contribution. I'm the one on the left.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts