Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I see these "member ratings" threads, like "name members you would hire" threads, or "who is your SAS paramour" or whatever.

Not a bad thing, surely, if you are those lucky ones who are put on that pedestal, but how does it come about? They always get shut down anyways, but it does show something. It's pretty obvious some members attract more attention, and lets face it, are more popular than others.

Of course desperately striving to be popular and well liked on a social anxiety support forum might not be the best plan of attack on your quest to mitigate your "social anxiety" tendencies.

What really makes people "popular" on here or other forums?

Is it akin to the same reasons why people are liked in the offline world?

Is it merely just being more visible than others? Bringing attention to yourself? Posting a lot of things either positive or negative enough to get your name out there?

Or is it that a person can just become popular without much effort, that they are a person who attracts a certain type of ulterior attention, either willingly or unwillingly?

Maybe a person who happened to have successfully peacocked themselves amongst the lot through perfectly placed and timed posts?

I would presume that if you are well liked in the online world, that has to translate to some success in the offline world, no? Even more so if you do not have a "different" personality between the two.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Is it merely just being more visible than others? Bringing attention to yourself? Posting a lot of things either positive or negative enough to get your name out there?
Any online forum, including SAS, is a microcosm of societal conventions at large. People who are loud, extreme and/or talk a lot will have the highest "popularity" as such. This works out whether it's about appearance, humor, politics, extreme views or trolling. Also, girls in general will almost never have a problem with attention online.

·
Long Term Member
Yo
5,334 Posts
/shrugs

Probably people who do not upset anyone or hold any strong views or just look really attractive I guess you would have to study the most frequent names that come up and see why people like them. Seeing as I am on the opposite side of the spectrum I can only assume so much.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
Being popular in online forums is just a matter of posting a lot, especially in the most active threads, and making alliances with the correct regulars in whatever forum.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any online forum, including SAS, is a microcosm of societal conventions at large. People who are loud, extreme and/or talk a lot will have the highest "popularity" as such. This works out whether it's about appearance, humor, politics, extreme views or trolling. Also, girls in general will almost never have a problem with attention online.
How can you then explain SAS as a forum, and those with the "social anxiety" being socially competent? Is it just a differing environment that's easier to form such conventions? As technology blurs offline and online social lives, wouldn't one be able to predict online social popularity can mirror offline?

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
How can you then explain SAS as a forum, and those with the "social anxiety" being socially competent? Is it just a differing environment that's easier to form such conventions? As technology blurs offline and online social lives, wouldn't one be able to predict online social popularity can mirror offline?
Easier for me to post. I am quieter in real life, and in boxes.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
SAS, like any online forum, is composed of a "society" of its own, and has a hierarchy like any real-world society.

But the blueprint to online popularity is not the same as the one for real-life popularity.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,551 Posts
Popularity is easy, just put yourself out there. And repeat, often. Repeating is the key here :lol

Okay, I know nothing about popularity.. sorry.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Anonymity - and the resulting lack of face-to-face consequences - is the mitigating factor for online personalities not necessarily translating offline.

But yes, in general, I think online forums have essentially the same conceptual requisites for popularity as offline. People's perceptions of what it means to interact differ, obviously, but the "online society" part of things holds much the same as it does in society offline. In my opinion, anyway.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
Just agree with the majority and you will be popular same as the real world
Have no personal opinion and definitely never make a mistake .

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,551 Posts
Just agree with the majority and you will be popular same as the real world
Have no personal opinion and definitely never make a mistake .
Or disagree, and often!

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I think it's pretty reflective of how people become popular irl. People want to be associated with others who are well known and flock towards those of high social standing, thus making themselves seem popular as well. Certain posters will receive more attention regardless of the thread topic, because people want to respond to them due to how they are viewed by the forum as a whole. I've been guilty of this at times too, hell, we probably all have been. I've seen this on SAS and other forums frequently. To be fair though, I think it's a lot less of a problem on SAS versus other forums, but sometimes it gets magnified here because a lot of us with SA tend to be a bit more sensitive (which is why these threads you referenced never go over well).

Not sure what my point is, but you're right, it's definitely not healthy to become too popular on SAS. It will likely lead to over-attachment to the forum, which is the opposite of therapeutic. I also can't see the social dynamics of the forum ever changing away from this. There will always be popular members and those who go unnoticed, even if it's unfair. Luckily to most here, it seems not to matter too much.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anonymity - and the resulting lack of face-to-face consequences - is the mitigating factor for online personalities not necessarily translating offline.

But yes, in general, I think online forums have essentially the same conceptual requisites for popularity as offline. People's perceptions of what it means to interact differ, obviously, but the "online society" part of things holds much the same as it does in society offline. In my opinion, anyway.
Not everyone is anonymous though on this forum. They post pics of themselves, use their pictures as their avatars, etc. They are given a space to list what their hobbies are, join "social groups" and their personalities show through their posts.

Would it be said, the less anonymous you are, the more trusting and viable to be liked you are? Hiding behind the screen and the username is akin to avoiding a social situation, i.e. connecting with fellow members on forums?

·
Long Term Member
Yo
5,334 Posts
Honestly though who knows you would need to let the popularity contests play out and see who comes up as the most favorable...keep in mind some people may not even take it seriously in fear in hurting others.....which they do anyways. The point is the sad truth is sad if you aren't popular you might feel a little rejected. Which could be a good thing because people who are popular are not necessarily the best people, people are generally stupid and pick people who are willing to kiss ***.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
You get popular by trying to befriend others. That's what all the names have in common. They're not all high post count, they're not all nice people, they're not all helpful. What they do, is reach out to others and befriend them.

If you are just a poster, you will never get named.

·
6,040 Posts
Being very active on the forum(many posts and threads), stirring controversy, making posts with an aura of confession(so, making many people feel like they can relate to you or, at least, feel sympathy towards you cause you seem very vulnerable. many people love anything that seems like a tabloid show), becoming friend with someone that is already very popular(which will, indirectly, bring a bit of attention to you as well) and simply being perceived in a very positive light by as many folks as possible. Last one is the most important, although completely subjective and, in most cases, based on nothing more but superficial impressions.

Just because someone is very popular online, it doesn't mean that person is the same in real life. There are two very different environments in which the same individual may act completely different, so may be perceived very differently. As a rule, the online persona is always perceived way better than the real life individual. Because of the tendency to fill in the blanks to fit with people's ideal image of that person.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You get popular by trying to befriend others. That's what all the names have in common. They're not all high post count, they're not all nice people, they're not all helpful. What they do, is reach out to others and befriend them.

I'd say reaching out is partly true. It does help.

What about those people who NEVER initiate contact with others first? I did see a thread where people mentioned they rarely if ever PM people first, or VM.

Someone has to be brave and put their cards on the table eventually. What about those members chasing after those people, hoping for some reciprocation, by initiating that first message?

And if these people hold true to their habits, why would someone continue to communicate with someone who does not initiate?

·
6,040 Posts
You get popular by trying to befriend others. ....
What they do, is reach out to others and befriend them.
Not true. Simply befriending a few people here will not make you popular. Loads of people are usually accepted as ''friends'' but very few are actually talked to and considered actual friends. Most are simply accepted cause it's the polite thing to do. Are you implying someone that added 100+ people is talking to all of them? It's simply impossible.

they're not all nice people, they're not all helpful.
True. But how they are perceived by most(or, at least, those willing to share their opinion. cause the great majority of people are not going to express their view on a specific member) is what makes them popular or not. You may hate them, some may love them. There is no correct answer to this, it's all as subjective as it gets.

They're not all high post count...
Most of the time, they are.

Not true. I can give a list of members that are popular in here, will be named, but very rarely, if ever, are making threads. They also may have few or no friends in their ''friends list''.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
In a nutshell, the key to forum popularity is to be memorable in some way, whether it be good or bad. If you're not memorable, you're just another comment others will scroll past.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts