Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,272 Posts
I'm kinda done with Hollywood. I mean, I still have fond memories of Hollywood movies (and TV shows) from my youth but it's not the same anymore. Movies are not like they used to be. They have much better technology but they've just been pumping out movies loaded with effects and no real appeal to them (for me). I mean, I'm sure some of them are good but I'm not going to slog through all the crap that is out there to find good stuff. Especially when a lot of it is unbearable to watch.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
Well I've never used tiktok but that's really just because it's mostly teenagers. I mostly like the other stuff you listed, or at least some of them, or parts of them.

Never heard BTS music I listened to some kpop around 2014/2015 but BTS are probably new and I don't keep up with that.

I feel like Japanese and Korean rock music is underrated though comparatively.
Well I've finally heard a BTS track just cause someone I follow on Sims YouTube included some clips from their latest song in their video because they're a kpop stan. I dunno it's too generic pop for me yeah funny that it being in the name but yeah.

The long purple/blue hair one guy has is cool though.

Still prefer this:

Also this:

Also jrock is still underrated.

Yeah I'm pimping them out again (fun fact: their name is technically English it's Backdrop Cinderella although in kana it's like ba-ku-do-ro-pu-shi-n-de-re-ra I think. Googling either of those won't help you though lol. Because obviously you are going to this is very important and fun because I said so,) but how else are they ever going to tour outside Japan. Not much point though if they do tour outside Asia it will be Europe and it will be mainland Europe because I've seen this pattern so they'll hit every big/popular country but the UK lol. mainland Europe is easier to break than the UK I think, which is easier to break than the US respectively.

Lol

Actually I think I heard about this before their video because I was googling something yesterday or the day before and I'm pretty sure there was a news result that talked about them getting a really large number of video views in the first hour or something like that. Might not have been them but I have a feeling it was.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Dragon Age (really any Tolkien-esque fantasy setting, so sick of them)

The Witcher. Aside from the above, I don't like sexual themes in my mainstream games. I prefer to keep these things separate and mainstream sexuality does nothing for me anyway.

·
SUS Member
10,813 Posts
I don't really actively dislike many things, though there are many things I'm not particularly interested in and that I don't pay any attention to. I've never really enjoyed reality TV because the second-hand embarrassment is too strong. I don't enjoy PvP or team play in games so MMOs don't appeal to me. I never take selfies or videos, so there are plenty of social media platforms I have no use for. I do listen to some pop music, but I'm not interested in most of it.

·
Super Moderator
34,272 Posts
Honestly, most of it. I mean, there's plenty of popular stuff I like and have liked but the vast majority of it does not appeal to me at all. Especially fiction. Youtube has changed me in that way. I'd rather watch an ordinary person just blogging their day to day life than something made up just about any day.

From time to time I will watch a movie if I know it's good or it looks good but to be honest, I find it hard to sit through it these days.

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,250 Posts
Friends. I've only met one other person who didn't care for it. Everyone seems to love it because they find it very relatable. There were some funny moments, but for the most part I don't find it appealing or relatable in any way to me.

And just following youtubers in general. I cannot even name one single popular youtuber. I just rather read information myself and come up with beliefs myself rather than what a popular fad trendy youtuber tells me what they think to believe. I came across several youtubers that have interesting content that are not political nor sociopolitical, but even then, I don't have the attention span for it. I rather watch a show or movie. Or some fiction.

·
Super Moderator
34,272 Posts
And just following youtubers in general. I cannot even name one single popular youtuber. I just rather read information myself and come up with beliefs myself rather than what a popular fad trendy youtuber tells me what they think to believe. Other youtubers have interesting content that are political or sociopolitical, but even then, I don't have the attention span for it. I rather watch a show or movie. Or some fiction.
Yeah. I like Youtube but that particular aspect of it has pretty much zero appeal to me. I doubt of any of the people I watch are at the very top of people everyone watches. I looked at some of the stuff that is apparently very popular and didn't recognize any of them even though they have zillions of subscribers and are obviously doing very well. If I like and follow someone who is relatively popular, it is usually a coincidence.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Friends. I've only met one other person who didn't care for it. Everyone seems to love it because they find it very relatable. There were some funny moments, but for the most part I don't find it appealing or relatable in any way to me.

And just following youtubers in general. I cannot even name one single popular youtuber. I just rather read information myself and come up with beliefs myself rather than what a popular fad trendy youtuber tells me what they think to believe. Other youtubers have interesting content that are political or sociopolitical, but even then, I don't have the attention span for it. I rather watch a show or movie. Or some fiction.
I’ve never met anyone they liked friends except my parents lol, it’s a generational thing... younger people don’t like it. I’d say the modern equivalent is The Office.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts

I find it funny but it's not relatable at all lol. People in sitcoms are always really successful compared to me. Especially older ones from the 90s or before. They started trying to include the failing-at-life/adulthood millennial stereotype starting with shows like Parks and Rec but even then still more successful.

Also I'm 30 but I grew up watching it on TV occasionally when I was a kid/teen.

·
Super Moderator
34,272 Posts
I find it funny but it's not relatable at all lol. People in sitcoms are always really successful compared to me. Especially older ones from the 90s or before. They started trying to include the failing-at-life/adulthood millennial stereotype starting with shows like Parks and Rec but even then still more successful.

Yeah. Most of the fictional "down on their luck" characters in all of popular media have always had at least something going for them and I could never relate to that at all. Pretty much all those types of characters were superficially relatable to someone like me but digging even slightly deeper into the character would immediately reveal the unrealistic nature of it and the fact that the characters were really just plot devices. And of course, the ending usually has to be good so it can't be utterly hopeless.

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,250 Posts

Yeah I notice the trend too. Earlier decades shows tend to have characters that fit perfectly with societal norms as much as possible. Because that is what viewers want to watch as an escape. With time, things got overplayed and they get into gradually darker and darker and deviated tones. Shows like Bojack Horseman and Tuca & Bertie are good examples of that, and it wow'ed me a bit with how accurate some of their themes are. Themes that mainstream shows would fear to dive into.

I’ve never met anyone they liked friends except my parents lol, it’s a generational thing... younger people don’t like it. I’d say the modern equivalent is The Office.
Friends was kind of my generation. The Office I like only it's quirky parts. The romance plot of Jim and Pam is the one I've always didn't care for and that is pretty much what Friends was. But that plot I think really is what attracted most of the The Office fandom in the first place. Without them, that show wouldn't have been anywhere close to being that successful. The UK version is a good example of this.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
Yeah I notice the trend too. Earlier decades shows tend to have characters that fit perfectly with societal norms as much as possible. Because that is what viewers want to watch as an escape. With time, things got overplayed and they get into gradually darker and darker and deviated tones. Shows like Bojack Horseman and Tuca & Bertie are good examples of that, and it wow'ed me a bit with how accurate some of their themes are. Themes that mainstream shows would fear to dive into.
Oh yeah I watched Bojack Horseman that's definitely a lot darker, you also have 'anti sitcoms' like It's always Sunny. I haven't watched Tuca and Bertie yet, actually it's surprising I even watched Bojack because I'm not normally a fan of anthropomorphic animals but I gave it a chance and it was pretty good. I actually prefer stuff that isn't too dark most of the time though now for escapism.

I started watching what is it I've forgotten the name.. Show in New York with two women. Lol I googled that and yeah Broad City. I watched a few episodes of that a few years ago and there was one that I remember being off puttingly real or something and I just kind of drifted away from it (not sure that was the entire problem it's been a while now so I don't even remember the details now.)

American TV tends to seem very fake to me, which I actually like it's why I don't like UK TV so much most of the time because it depresses me. Although I watched Fleabag recently and that was pretty good. I liked how she kept breaking the 4th wall too. Hard to find a good clip that I can post here that's not too sexual (I just dunno what's over the line for forum rules,) also funny, and also not too spoiler.

Also on the generational Friends thing I actually knew a girl in high school (age 11-16 here,) who was obsessed with Friends and had all the box sets and everything lol. But I think it's probably less popular with gen z.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I am not a big fan of Netflix, tiktok, Game of thrones. I like watching sports a lot. Mostly tennis, I guess it also because my best friend works for the tennis channel customer service and tells me lots of cool stories about her job. I am also not a big fan of Marvel movies prefer to watch some old good tv shows (friends, how I met your mom etc)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m a huge sports fan. Love watching the tour de France and the general cycling season, 4 grand slams in tennis, football (everything), the upcoming olympics (yaaaaaayyy), darts. So I spend a lot of time watching stuff like that.

I am a music and film fan though I don’t often watch new films as I tend to feel I have seen everything I want (except for a few dozen films in production). I rewatch some films weekly. Recently saw one of my favorites again “Lawrence of Arabia”. Super adventure film!
Music for me is relaxing, always start dreaming while listening to music, when I was younger I wanted lyrics now I want atmosphere.

I have zero knowledge about any social media though, it is the big unknown. I also have not a lot of interest in tv shows, so netflix or disney is not on my radar either. Tv shows are just too long and drawn out for me in general. Every now and then I jump on the hype train though (Breaking Bad was awesome).

I am not a gamer either although I did play games when I was younger. I also know nothing about anime or manga etc

I always wanted to get into books but it is such a daunting task and there are literally millions of books. I wouldn’t even know what kind of books I want to read lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Superhero movies and--and anyone who lives in a Hispanic/Portuguese-speaking country will relate--soccer. It's quantifiably more boring than any other sport, the broadcasts are loud and obnoxious (good luck finding a bar where you can relax on a match night), and the entire culture and politics surrounding it are rotten in too many ways to count.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts