Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here lose their appetite when anxious, drives me mad, went to a party the other day and just couldnt eat a thing, didnt feel at all hungry despite not eating barely anything all morning. Because im almost constantly anxious, my appetite is almost constantly poor. Does anyone else get this, anyone found a solution to it??

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the same thing. I went to outback with a few friends last week and despite only having maybe one meal that day I could barely eat anything. Its a pretty normal problem for people with anxiety disorders. My therapist described the reasoning to me as we have two nervous systems the sympathetic and parasympathetic. When the one thats active when your anxious it causes the things the other nervous system controls such as libido, appetite, etc. to not be as strong.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I did have poor appetite when my anxiety was bad, just a horrible naseous feeling all the time. Since i've been on meds my apppetite has been good though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have poor appetite when my anxiety was bad, just a horrible naseous feeling all the time. Since i've been on meds my apppetite has been good though.
what meds you on??Was there a particular one that helped?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too have this problem. Its acute enough that if i feel "socially threatened" I would probably not be able to even drink anything other than water.

I was once at this outdoor camp and due to my anxiety I barely ate for 4 whole days and consequently lost tons of weight (and this is not a good thing for a person who is already underweight).

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Yes! I was just about to make a new thread before I saw this lol.
This entire summer holiday, I've hardly eaten anything. I've been eating 2 meals a day (well I would say one whole meal - lunch - and then a really really small meal for dinner).
The only thing I've been able to consume is milk and loads and loads of the stuff - I've just drank an entire 2 pint of milk by myself which I'm probably going to feel the effects of later.
I've also been having frequent diarrhea for about 2/3 weeks (should probably go to the doctor soon about this).
I have no idea why I am feeling like this either - maybe it's the effect of eating rice almost every single day for the last 16 years as, I probably have an appetite to eat lunch because it's usually a baguette.
Or it might be a sign of my SA getting worse due to increased anxiety.
They'd be times when I feel really hungry and my stomach is rumbling but when it comes to eating, my appetite just suddenly goes out the window.
Any suggestions would be great :|

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been feeling like this a lot lately. I just can't eat that much. I never finish all my food at dinner time, and this is when I don't eat much during the day. I just haven't felt as hungry as I usually am.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I never ate breakfast until recently. I can tell you the benefits of eating breakfast is immediate! Instantly more energy and focus during the day. Even if your not hungry when you wake up. (I never was) Force yourself to atleast eat something. I started off with just a banana.

I never ate much before and gorged out of carbs and fats when the hunger pains were just too much, so I paid with being overweight without eating much.

I know you've heard it all before BUT its so damn true.. THE MORE YOU EAT, THE FASTER YOUR METABOLISM IS. You just need to kick start it.
BREAKFAST IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL. You can skip dinner. But dont skip breakfast. Garanteed you'll feel better eating breakfast.

Also try and introduce something small and healthy to every day. You might start with changing your bread on your sandwich to grain bread instead of white etc. Its a start.

Do you do your shopping? or if living with parents, go shopping with them! I hate grocery shopping but the benefit to me is I get a choice in what we buy. (My partner is so stuck in his ways with the shopping, its always the same food same brand BORING!)

Anyways, eat more for breakfast!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts