Votes: 17 12.8%
  • It makes me happy

Votes: 7 5.3%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your initital feeling when someone says to you "you're too quiet!", or something similar to that?

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since we already have another thread discussion going on this, I'd like to try to keep this thread as a poll only.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
They need to worry about their own life instead of focusing on me. Good, I hope that it does bother them. The more that they try to get me to talk, the quieter I will be. I would much rather be quiet than most of the people on this planet who can't shut the %#(@ up and have absolutely nothing worthwhile to say.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
more determined - but there should have been another option "You're too LOUD!" :lol

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to encourage all viewers of this thread to please take 2 seconds and participate in the poll. Lets try to get the poll count up to 50 participants or higher.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've been told I was a 'quiet achiever' and 'shy' all my life, from lots of different people including teacher's evaluations of me on school reports. I suppose I'm used to it and I also don't necessarily think it is a bad thing, makes me feel unique :)

I think I'll always be a somewhat reserved person the thing that I want to improve is my confidence in myself, my self worth and to engage more in life. If I do all that and I'm still considered a 'quiet' person so be it.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
I feel real low because they are pointing out a flaw that is hard for me to deal with in the first place. If I could just suck it up and put myself out there and be social in spite of my nerves I would have already done that, but it's easier said than done. So if someone points it out it just reminds me that I'm different than others and it's depressing.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
It depends on who they are and what their intentions are. I suppose someone could say that with the intention of trying to get you to speak more. Most people don't seem to be trying to help, though.

If they are someone I barely know and they just blurt this out, I feel that they should mind their own business. I've had people ask me if I was a mute before :twak Being raised with manners, I find it hard to understand how someone would not think that was a rude thing to ask.

My friend's sister used to tell people I was quiet. I found that hurtful, because I've made a lot of progress. I think she had good intentions, but I didn't like it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm offended, but there's an immediate rush of embarrassment and panic as I try to think of something to say. Then I feel like if I try and talk more people will think I'm weird for not talking before, but if I stay quiet people will still think I'm weird. I pretty much need to leave that situation asap.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Depends on how familiar I am with them.
Most people who know me, won't say it, though, it's usually random people.

I had someone say this to me about two weeks ago when she was gabbing away. She stopped to ask me why I was being so quiet. I thought to myself that even if I wanted to say something, I couldn't, so why even try? I just told her I didn't feel like talking, so she responded with, 'You're always this quiet, I bet.' Not sure what that meant...

If she knew me, and I actually liked her in some way, I wouldn't have been so quiet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My first reaction...

"You are so quiet?"

"Yeah I am, no s***!"
But I would never say that to anyone, I usually reply with uhh yeah or yep.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm quite used to it by people I don't know well. My friends don't think this of me anymore, I suppose.
Being quiet is not bad, in my opinion. I'd like to be the confident type of quiet, who just doesn't talk because he/she's ok with that and content of the moments he/she is living just as they are. Of course I'm not, that would be a far away goal to me.

But! When people use that phrase to make fun of me (or I think they do), I feel quite bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i'd feel bad and offended.. i get that quite often but on the other hand i guess being quiet isn't such a bad thing, it's better than being loud and nosey, it can get pretty annoying

·
Registered
87 Posts
I chose It does not bother me at all, not for a second, only because there wasn't an option "I don't care anymore" because i've heard it so much in my life that I couldn't care less. :hide

1 - 20 of 44 Posts