Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 19 year old british girl and I don't really know what a forum or a thread is so sorry if this is wrong or weird or w/e
but its a new year and I want to sort myself out because social anxiety and paranoia are ruining my life
I'm currently taking antidepressants and have been for a while but I just find they make me zombie like and part of my problem is that I think I come across as strange and too spaced out. I used to be quite confident but I've become a completely different person the last two years and I absolutely despise myself and my personality. I cant hang out with my friends because I feel like they don't like me anymore because I'm quiet and awkward and miserable looking. I find myself walking around dodgy areas at night in the hope someone interesting will talk to me but then when someone does I feel weird and inadequate. I'm also really self conscious, not particularly about how I look but my personality and interests, everything I'm interested in is considered destructive and lately I've started to worry about fate and am having suicidal thoughts every 10 minutes or so and I cant cope, I'm a very private person and not a big fan of the internet but I am DESPERATE for anything to help me. I feel alienated and really lonely, I have panic attacks and regularly burst into tears, and sometimes it happens at work and I feel as though people are laughing at me and think I'm really weird. I would be so, so greatful for any advice at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i am probably not the best person to answer this as ive only joined this today and i have no good advice, but im sure there will better replies after me, but i have some suggestions so just incase they help here they are: Many of the feelings you are describing are ones that are said to be typical of this social anxiety or phobia , obviously, which to me means other people are feeling like this too, you are not alone. You also said that you used to be confident so maybe you could try and figure out what it is that changed and from there try and feel better, also dont concentrate on being confident again just on being okay :) ... maybe you could talk to someone about coming off your medication and trying therapies where you actually work on your problems, drug treatments are just for short term purposes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Suzie said it well. I would definitely stress the importance of some sort of therapy. The fact that you are looking for help means you have the motivation to start making changes, which is the perfect mindset to be in.

·
Random SA guy
25 Posts
You're not alone on that one...What I can say is that there must be an incident that might have triggered you into this like a heartbreak,you overheard your parents saying that they weren't proud of you and so on..therapy could help..but choose wisely as some of them just don't what confidentiality means...well..if you're looking to make friends,you've come to the right place...WELCOME:clap

SUZIE +1

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Definitely, welcome to the site. You didn't do anything weird or wrong. It's a nice place for meeting people who have had experiences a lot like what you're describing; you are not alone there, not to diminish the suckage of those feelings.

It really sounds like the antidepressant you're on isn't doing a lot for you. I think Suzie is right that it's probably best to think of it as a tool to help get you to a point where your mind and life is something you can manage and control and help give you space to reflect, where the bad stuff is not so overwhelming. If it's not doing that, maybe another can.

I was curious: everything you're interested in is considered destructive? What do you mean?

Also, stay safe. Don't put yourself in risky situations, k?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.