Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Here is my issue, I started college in early September, after years of tough situations at school (I wasn't what you call super popular, more quiet) its been nearly 5 months and I still haven't made a friend, I'd say I have made several acquaintances, but I wouldnt class them as close enough to be friends. At school I had a tight group of about 5 friends, now I only keep in contact with 2 of them, I feel like I am socially slipping into a black hole, and I know if I lose the 2 friends I still hang about with, I will find it so difficult to recover. I need advice, sometimes is see people laugh and immediately think its about me, I try to keep a low profile, and I know I shouldn't be doing that, but it's tough not to...

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if I don't make sense...

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
No need to fear losing your two friends as long as you work on being your own best friend and loving and accepting yourself. Get your friends to introduce you to some new people and extend your number of contacts, don't give in to feelings of desperation which will just disempower you.

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try, but every time I think I am on track to making a friend, they drift away, and then its back to square one. I find it difficult to walk past crowds of people, and I just feel alone, but thanks for your answer...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well. If you ask me about the friend issue, Iwould say you never have many REAL friends anyway. I have met a lot of people in my life and I think I have only 2 real friends. Most people are acquiantances and is likely that in some time you wont see them anymore. Maybe what you need is to widen you circle of acquiantances to talk to people, have fun and stuff but that does not necesarily mean that they will become friends. These 2 friends I have, i met them in highschool, I really didnt have friends throught college or work. I have the idea that when people say they have a lot of friends, usually they are just lying to themselves. And about the laugh issue, well I would have to be there to tell but maybe its in your head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts