Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

How are you?

I'd like to tell you I'm doing well but that would be a lie to both you and myself.

The truth is, I'm struggling just to function and get through each day. I'm nearly 33 and have suffered like this since I was about 14, I don't have any genuine friends, have never had a girlfriend and haven't even been on a date yet.

Basically my main symptoms are a combination of general anxiety, constant stress/worry, shyness, lack of confidence/self esteem, brain fog and constant fatigue and being overly sensitive.

There is nothing physically wrong with me, I have blood tests once a year and they always come back fine and I've also had other tests with a naturopath and they've also been fine.

I have basically tried everything (except medication) to get over my issues, from reading anxiety books to seeing 2 different psychologists, seeing a life coach, eft practitioner, hypnotherapist, yoga, meditation/mindfulness, exercise and probably some other things I've forgotten.

I even spent $440 to have a telephone reading with a prestigious psychic named Nicole Cody. She told me that my relationship with my dad has deeply affected my confidence and that I'm governed by my mind and have had a slow deterioration over time in my confidence and that I'm developing OCD. She said it's reducing my coping mechanisms but I'm not on the autistic spectrum, it's just stress and anxiety and I'm in survival mode and barely functioning. She also pointed out that I have a lot of hallmarks of PTSD and that my whole home is governed by my fathers mood and I need to find a way to get out of the house and be comfortable in myself first before trying to establish romantic relationships and moving on with my life.

I don't know if you believe in these sorts of things but I can tell you that the majority of what she told me was eerily spot on. My father, while he doesn't drink or take drugs or gamble or has never been physically abusive towards me has often been emotionally abusive towards me and my family and emotionally distant as well.

The reality is I'm not coping all that well with life in general. Basically my only responsibilities in life are my job and although I've been in the same role for years, virtually every day is a struggle and I just try to get through each day with the least amount of stress possible. At home, I don't cook or do any other household choirs except for the odd bit of vacuuming of just a few rooms and some washing of just my clothes and cleaning my bedroom. Even just to get myself ready for work in the morning takes me about 90min from when I get out of bed and shaving takes me about 45min so I have to do this at night.

I hate living like this, it's like I'm trapped in a vicious cycle and in my own personal hell (the worst thing is being romantically deprived/lonely) and since I've tried so many things but nothings helped, I feel like medication is my only option, which is scary. The reason I've never tried it is I'm afraid it could make things worse and potentially make me suicidal, but on the flip side, what if it could help me lead the life I deserve?

Please, if there's any medication you think may be able to help me that you can suggest I look into that may be able to help me, I'd be extremely grateful. Likewise if there's anything else you can suggest that would be great, I'm just feeling so scared as to where I'm heading and desperate to get over all of this.

Thanks,

anxiousnlonelyguy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi anxiousnlonelyguy,sorry to hear about your struggle but I must admit I can kind of relate,and although I'm not a believer in psychics I think that she was probably pretty accurate in her assessment of the situation,I know what she said would have summed up my own situation quite well when I was about 20,I think probably a lot of peoples anxiety problems are very much related to their relationship with people who have been the closest to them so I think how you are treated and thought of by your family has a huge affect on how we see ourselves.
I know from my own past personal experience that I believe my father used to love me because I was one of his sons but yet he didn't respect me because I was not like him emotionally strong or have the same beliefs as him so he regarded me as more of a needy sort of person whom would be lost without him and I believe the effect of his opinion of me caused huge problem with my self esteem,so there came a time when I realized I needed to find out who I really was and what I really thought of my own family because I really didn't want to continue going through life thinking of myself as a needy and dependent person,so I did find I needed to go my own way to establish to myself that I didn't need my family and that I'll do fine by myself.
hope you find your way

1 - 2 of 2 Posts