Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else do this? i've realized i do it with almost everything. i count to three before i answer IMs. i count to five before i answer my cell phone amd to ten before i respond to a text message (when i get a call or text message, which isn't that often). i count before i answer the door. i count before EVERYTHING because i don't want people to think i'm desperate or i have no life. also, sometimes i won't IM someone first or text them first at ALL if i want to talk to them because i don't want to always be the one initiating the conversation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
counting is really common with OCD, but i no what you mean, i kinda do the same thing. I will never answer my phone on the first ring or answer the door quickly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
omg i do the sameee thing. i dont even really realize it when i do it. i neverr text people even though i do wanna hang out with people, i never text them first because i think they'll think im desperate. idk ughh so annoying. i think i count the most when someone texts me...i just know that if i text back right away they'll know that im not doing anything and just sitting around waiting for their text..

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
I think people who don't suffer from anxiety do this as well. You'll sometimes see it on tv shows where someone will wait several seconds before they answer the door for example. If it's something that becomes excessive then it probably is some sort of coping method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.