Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a few days ago I sat an exam. The exam went smooth until I hit one part in the last question. The question was in the format "given something, obtain something else". There were several methods presented in the course material, and, because the question was worded in a specific way, I tried to follow one explicit method. However, as I attempted the question, I found out that it was impossible to solve the problem with that method due to the context of the question. Because there were like 7 minutes left, I started panicking. I tried another method (the one that I should have used right at the beginning) but only solved a small fraction of the problem. I could have almost finished the question too, which would have garnered the majority of the marks, but I spent the last few minutes trying to figure out what went wrong with the second method, as something was clearly wrong with it. Then I realized after the exam that I made a careless mistake and spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out what went wrong, when it should have been obvious.

If I didn't screw up in that question, I would have almost definitely attained close to full marks for that exam which means I could have received the highest possible grade for that course. Now I'm probably going to get one grade down because I screwed up one part of a question. Firstly I should have realized that the first method was impossible given the context of the question at first glance. Even if it were possible, the second method would have arrived to the exact same result. Secondly, I'm a huge idiot because I spent the last few minutes trying to figure out what went wrong with the second method when it should have been obviously clear. I could have completed most of the requirements for that question within those few short minutes.

I keep thinking about it and every time it makes me angry. I could have gotten the grade I wanted but I blew it, all due to tripping up in one part of a question. That question should have been easy too, but somehow I managed to screw it up. A high grade was within my grasp, but I just had to screw it up and it makes me mad thinking about it. Anyone else had moments like this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts