Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea of the universe as a 'giant brain' has been proposed by scientists - and science fiction writers - for decades.

But now physicists say there may be some evidence that it's actually true. In a sense.

According to a study published in Nature's Scientific Reports, the universe may be growing in the same way as a giant brain - with the electrical firing between brain cells 'mirrored' by the shape of expanding galaxies.

The results of a computer simulation suggest that "natural growth dynamics" - the way that systems evolve - are the same for different kinds of networks - whether its the internet, the human brain or the universe as a whole.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/27/physicists-universe-giant-brain_n_2196346.html

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
I knew this years ago, our human society is a collective conscious too, a brain. According to laws of self similarity (fractals) systems in the universe repeat themselves at smaller scales, it only makes sense that their is a conscious as large as the universe. #MindBlown.

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems that the way galaxies affect each other in the universe, social networks, and neural networks share some mathematical properties. (It's analogous to finding the number pi in lots of different natural phenomenon.) This is pretty cool, but it doesn't imply anything about the Universe being intelligent or conscious in any way.

Those "science journalists." :eyeroll

·
Registered
38 Posts
It seems that the way galaxies affect each other in the universe, social networks, and neural networks share some mathematical properties. (It's analogous to finding the number pi in lots of different natural phenomenon.) This is pretty cool, but it doesn't imply anything about the Universe being intelligent or conscious in any way.

Those "science journalists." :eyeroll
I agree. In fact, as the internet is clearly not a brain (not what we would normally refer to a brain as, anyways), the similarity between the three does not imply that we are living in a brain/thinking thing. Of course, I am not a possessor of some hidden knowledge that would prove otherwise, so...:stu

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok not the best article I've posted.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
There was actually an episode of "Through the wormhole" that was about this.
Yeah I watched that episode as well, where they propose that the entire universe is actually a living organism.

·
Polyglot Wannabe
1,349 Posts
Thats what I've been thinking for a long time, the difference was, I think we(the earth) and other planets, stars etc. are just atoms, like the H and O in a H2O molecule, and we are living in a giant organism.

A little bit stupid but just a theory, as this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal.
Could this be it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's possibly a bigger consciousness, Ever heard of the Multiverse theory. Can't stand atheist and religious people think they know everything about life.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
There's possibly a bigger consciousness
Well there's nothing to suggest that yet. Just wishful thinking. The physical arrangement of the universe being analogous to a neural network certainly doesn't suggest a cosmic consciousness.

Ever heard of the Multiverse theory.
Yes, frequently. What about it?

Can't stand atheist and religious people think they know everything about life.
Indeed, but it's rare to find an atheist who thinks they know everything. Atheists typically look to science for answers, and nobody who understands science thinks it has all the answers. A large part of science is all about being open to refinement and change as more and new evidence is discovered.

However you are right about many religious people who are far more fundamentalist in their beliefs and unwilling to change them despite contrary evidence. It's obviously foolish to think an archaic book holds the truth.

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
So far as I am aware there is no "information" being transferred from galaxy to galaxy as there is from neuron to neuron in a brain. Similar structure doesn't necessarily mean similar function. The branches of a tree bear a striking resemblance to the branching of a neuron but again no nueron type activity from a tree...

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
Yeah, well Jung, the father of analytical psychology found this out around 1910 and called the collective conscience. And years before himt he buddhist knew the same thing. Science is annoying with their "discoveries".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts