Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Physical symptoms vs mental symptoms

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very curious on the distribution of physical vs mental symptoms that SA people experience. Every description of SA that I've seen is of some psychological and clinical framework that I doubt fits any real person. Most strikingly, these descriptions make SA seem like we are just people who are either too shy or too much into our our feelings.

While our symptoms certainly change through out time, can you please give a rough estimate of the percentage of the symptoms that you experience that are either physical or mental.

I'm classifying physical traits as:
Heart and breathing rate, muscle ticks/itch, stomach cramps, vomiting, sweating, blushing, etc.

and I'm classifying mental traits as:
feeling: lonely, ugly, being judge, being disliked, etc..

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
75 mental/25 physical

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd say 50/50. If I have the mental thing going on, it pretty much kick starts some sort of physical reaction, though it may not always be visible to others. I pretty much always have the knotted stomach and chest pain thing if I'm having the mental stuff. If I start having visible symptoms, like shaking, then my mental gets worse because I feel humiliated, making me shake even more, and well, you get the picture, each feeds off the other and it can get pretty ugly . . . :O)

·
Registered
746 Posts
At some point I think it's hard to separate the mental thought process from the physical symptoms. I think the two happen simultaneously.

Having said that, the only mental symptom I have is feeling that I'm being judged. For physical symptoms, I experience faster breathing/heart rate, stomach cramps, mild shaking, and occasionally slight blushing (usually accompanied by feeling cold everywhere else).

I would say 50/50 because the physical symptoms would not be there without the thoughts.

·
Registered
794 Posts
More mental than physical.

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
Ya nearly all mental , if i can get over the apprehension/dread the rest usually falls into place.

Aww man its such a cluster**** sometimes.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
I'd say 50/50. If I have the mental thing going on, it pretty much kick starts some sort of physical reaction, though it may not always be visible to others. I pretty much always have the knotted stomach and chest pain thing if I'm having the mental stuff. If I start having visible symptoms, like shaking, then my mental gets worse because I feel humiliated, making me shake even more, and well, you get the picture, each feeds off the other and it can get pretty ugly . . . :O)
Same here. :(

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
95% mental, 5% physical.

basically, even when i don't have any physical symptoms of anxiety, all the mental negative thoughts are still there. so that includes if i'm drinking or on benzos and my body will feel perfectly fine but it doesn't help with my complete lack of social skills or shyness etc

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,297 Posts
I'm similar

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
60% mental, 40% physical

I've found that even without the physical symptoms of anxiety, my mind still operates in much the same way as in the thinking patterns, feelings and experiences I have. It doesn't change. It's a strange feeling though, almost like I've numbed myself so that my complete absence of social adeptness is laid bare for all to see. When I think about that, I'm scared out of my wits, but my body isn't, if that makes any shred of sense whatsoever.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
I kinda believe there is no separation between mental and physical health. I heard a great quote the other day listening to a discussion on depression. "Mental health begins at the cellular level". Once you ride that boat as far as it will go i.e. diet, exercise, sleep, then you can talk, in a healthy manner, about emotional issues and thought patterns. But that's just me.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
im 50/50

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I kinda believe there is no separation between mental and physical health. I heard a great quote the other day listening to a discussion on depression. "Mental health begins at the cellular level". Once you ride that boat as far as it will go i.e. diet, exercise, sleep, then you can talk, in a healthy manner, about emotional issues and thought patterns. But that's just me.
I completely agree with that quote. I think people still think of health, like our great grandparents did a 100 years ago. That was a time when there were no antibiotics and people's overall nutrition was so poor, that the common cold could kill them. For them, physical damage=infection=sickness.

With increased use of antibiotics, vaccination, and better nutrition, people are living longer with less overt physical signs of damage. But that doesn't mean we are completely healthy.

Low level inflammation, in particular can have devastating effects on our moods and well being, even if there isn't a clear sign of it.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
any matrix fan's will also agree with what many have said so far.
"the body cannot live without the mind"

what relevance that has to what i was initially going to say, i dont know. but what i do know, is that i've forgotten what i was going to say... u.u

1 - 17 of 17 Posts