Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had to do a short presentation in front my class. I took ~ 1 mg of Xanax about 1 1/2 hours before the presentation. It definitely helped a lot with the nervousness, but I had a hard time controlling my shaky legs. My heartbeat was also racing. From your experience, what would you suggest I do for my future presentations? I understand Inderal (Propranolol) helps with the physical manifestations of anxiety (blushing, shaking, racing heart, etc). Would combining Inderal with Xanax help with the shaking?

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm exactly like you except opposite- my physical symptoms are gone but i still feel extremely nervous.

I would probably take it 1/2 hr before presentation starts, because after 1hr the effects may already have worn off.
Inderal definitely takes the shaking away (speaking from experience)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
deltan144: Thanks for your reply! Have you tried benzodiazepines? Xanax has taken away 90% of all my nervousness last time I had to do public speaking. The rest of 5% was because I started shaking a little and this made me feel slightly uncomfortable and less confident.

I had taken a small dose of xanax before (0.25mg) for a 5-minute speech and it curved a lot of my anxiety, even though I was almost constantly shaking (especially my hands). Yesterday, when I had to do another speech, I took 1 mg hoping that the shaking will go away. However, it only partially helped with the physical symptoms and I ended but feeling somehow sedated, unable to concentrate while coordination was a little impaired as well.

Anyone else tried mixing Inderal with Xanax? Is it really an effective combo? Does Inderal help with the shaky hands, fast heart beat? Does Inderal have any drawbacks, like Xanax (Decreased alertness, concentration etc)

Any opinions are welcome!:D

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Try (clonazepam) klonopin has decreased my heart rate significantly and is longer lasting than xanax.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
@miha21: You can mix benzos with beta blockers, no blockers. It's a great combo for presetantions. And yes - the Inderal will stop that hand shaking, heart racing...

·
Registered
24 Posts
mixing benzos and prop

just don't take too high a dose of either one. .25 of Xanax and 20 mg of Prop is sufficient. The Inderal doesn't work any better at a high dose (for situational adrennaline control) than at a very low dose. You'll only lower your blood pressure if you take too much of it. Your body doesn't build a tolerance to the beta blocker (prop), so you'll never need to take more and more of it, unlike Xanax which you could become addicted to and would need larger doses. In short, don't get too attached to the Xanax--use only in small doses and for those occasions you need it.
the propranolol can be used every day. The Xanax is for the mental anxiety and the Propranol for the physical symptoms. That's why you'll still shake with the Xanax. You'll find as time goes by and you realize that your physical symptoms are going to be controlled, you won't have such severe mental anxiety.

I've been doing this for 20 years (before they even know about Social Anxiety and when I had a few psychologists think I was completely nuts for having such severe reactions to presentations and even handwriting in public). I accidently ran across a psychiatrist who'd had trouble getting through med school because his hands would shake when he got nervous--and he started on the Propranolol (Inderal).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts