Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 17 and i think i twisted a muscle in my back. It was fine this morning. Just a little bit stiff. After a day of school where im constantly tense and anxious, i cannot stand the pain. Im going to take a nap right now because just looking the wrong way sets it off. Im sure it would have been fine if I could have relaxed for 5 minutes today. Too late for that i guess :/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you saying your back hurts from tension caused by anxiety? I know if I've been in a very anxious situation, my neck and back is sore from being so stiff. I am trying to consciously relax my shoulders more often. Even if u don't realize you're doing it, just randomly throughout the day, tell yourself to "drop your shoulders". 9 times out of ten, I've been wearing them as earrings.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Indeed. Try stretching your arms and back a little bit, but do it slowly. If you're male, remember that most of your stress ends up in your shoulders and neck.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Upper back or lower back pain?

I have constant problems with the sciatic nerve that runs from my lower back down my legs. It has been really bothering me the last few months. Some days it is okay and others it is real painful. The pain goes from the lower back down to my foot. I don't know if it had anything to do with falling onto my tailbone when I slipped on some ice in my early twenties. It would also help if I lose some of this mid age spread.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
One of the best exercises for the general upper back goes back to what they teach in most highschool gyms or its called arm circles. It affects, the shoulders, the upper back muscles and the neck even. You put your arms to the sides, like Jesus on the cross, then you circle them, you can do small, medium, and big. You can vary the speed, slower is harder sometimes, you can do them front circles or backcircles. If you are weak, bring the arms in a little so they aren't out straight so the pressure on the muscle is different. doing this 70 times, 3 times, can allow your upperback to crack after you are done. Most of the exercises that help the upperback involve working with the arms. Shoulder press movement without the weight helps the shoulders. Ballerina like arm movements. etc.

Well one that doesn't involve the arms is the spinal twist from yoga but you don't need to do the legs as they do. You can do it from any chair where you can use your arms to keep you twisted to the side and breathe some which is a right turn and a left turn. that in yoga they say and I agree can in make all the vertebrae line up although they have to be somewhat in line to begin with, but it can help problems from getting worse too. I like to do it repeatedly alternating the right and left turns for a couple of minutes. The vertebrae rotate on top and over each other and its a very very good stretch.

The lower back is strengthened by stomach exercises and pilates.

Also the thigh muscle is important to tone for the lower back indirectly because when bending down to pick up things you should use the legs, not the back. the hamstrings and rear muscles also influence the lower back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts