Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone else had any issues with their body or physical appearance that seems to make their social anxiety worse.

For example, I'm eighteen but people usually think I'm twelve. I know it's because I'm short and they usually tend to think I'm older once I talk (which is rare with new people) but is still kills me. I get so paranoid about and I can't even hang out with my thirteen year old cousin in public anymore because I'm afraid they will think I'm her age. God, it's such a frustrating thing.

Anyone else have anything like this?

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Yeah- really bad. I'm 30 and look like I'm 16. I also have just an awkward appearance. I dread when people ask my age. Everyone honestly thinks I'm 20-22 or so at the oldest. I actually personally think I look younger than that. I could easily pass for a high school student. It's tough cause I work in a professional corporate environment and it's hard to have anyone take me seriously at all and it's just weird to look like a kid when you're an adult.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am 18. Yesterday I wrote an exam (they mix exam classes with different grades) and when I went to the teacher to hand in my exam they thought I was in gr. 9 and I had to show them my teacher's name.

My little sister is 13 and people have so many times said that I am her younger sister! Which is a joke because my TNA ha are so much bigger than hers.

I am short (5'2") and have a wide face and pale skin and light hair, and always have a deer-in-headlights kind of look on my face, so I am sure that helps. Plus I tend not to wear makeup or dress nicely.

People have also assumed I was the mother of a 10 year old child, married, etc. I am seen either as a child or the mother of one. Good stuff. 18 year olds are supposed to be the stuff of creepy middle aged men's fantasies.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've mentioned this in another thread, but my left arm is shorter than the other. I'll attach a photo. I actually like having it, but once in a while I'll wonder if that's a reason women aren't necessarily knocking at my door. I told my friend the other day the one bad thing about it is I will never be able to tell if women are checking me out or their just intrigued by the arm haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dude you look like me, only 6 years in the future and the ability to grow facial hair. I swear our hair looks the same. And it looks dumb, ive tried so many different things, and basically now it looks exactly like yours. Maybe ill grow it out.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
my jaw stopped growing when i was pretty young. i had surgery a little over 2 years ago, but you can still tell that my jaw is too small; they had to cut into the muscle that closes my lips (my lower lip, specifically), so my lips are always parted. if i try to keep my mouth totally closed i look like i'm angry. i'm extremely self-conscious about it, and i definitely think it makes my anxiety worse.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
I've mentioned this in another thread, but my left arm is shorter than the other. I'll attach a photo. I actually like having it, but once in a while I'll wonder if that's a reason women aren't necessarily knocking at my door. I told my friend the other day the one bad thing about it is I will never be able to tell if women are checking me out or their just intrigued by the arm haha.
How did I not notice that the first time I clicked the picture?

:|

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dude you look like me, only 6 years in the future and the ability to grow facial hair. I swear our hair looks the same. And it looks dumb, ive tried so many different things, and basically now it looks exactly like yours. Maybe ill grow it out.
haha the facial hair thing was a good line. If you figure out a good looking hairstyle let me know. I've been trying to figure it out for a long time now.

By the way I AM you 6 years in the future...I just came to warn you don't raise your left arm when you get out of the helicopter, that's how you lose it...it isn't really. Sorry, I'm in a goofy mood for some reason.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I kinda like what i got now. Its basically an ivy leage cut grown a bit long. short on the sides/back longer on the top. Then i just kinda run my fingers through my hair till it naturally falls in a good look. I have a godawful cow lick above my right eye so short haircut=no.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
my jaw stopped growing when i was pretty young. i had surgery a little over 2 years ago, but you can still tell that my jaw is too small; they had to cut into the muscle that closes my lips (my lower lip, specifically), so my lips are always parted. if i try to keep my mouth totally closed i look like i'm angry. i'm extremely self-conscious about it, and i definitely think it makes my anxiety worse.
Honestly it's impossible to tell unless you specifically know about it and even then I can't spot it.

For me the only real problem I have/had was terrible posture but have since been getting it worked on and changed the way I walk etc so now it is more or less non existent and I walk and sit up straight for the first time in my life.

Oh and my ears.... :S

·
Registered
13 Posts
Scoloisis

I have scolosis, and due to that my right shoulder blade is pushed out farther than "normal". It used to bother me really bad, but now that I am older, there is nothing I can do about it, so I might as well embrace it. I had surgery on it when I was 16,( 25 now) and it didnt take it down much, and that was the worst surgery I had yet. I dont think I would ever wanna go thru that again, so I will just learn to love my imperfections:)

Thanks for Reading

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yes. I have a lot of problems with my teeth and I will have to have almost all of them crowned one day. Anyway, I never smiled...just smirked or grinned. My teeth are very yellow and I had an unsightly crown on one of my incisors that jutted out past the other teeth. I would get very upset if someone took a photo of me and caught me with my mouth open and teeth showing. I subconsciously developed those behaviors that everyone does when they want to hide something about their appearance - I would frequently cover my mouth when speaking or laughing and not even know I was doing it. One day, I just decided I had enough and my dentist told me he could do a partial restoration...but one that would give me the most benefits - crowning the upper front 6 teeth. Those are the teeth that are exposed when smiling.

So, I went through with it. I first had to have a crown lengthening procedure done (a periodontist had to remove some of the gum in order to expose more of the natural tooth). Then, when that was healed, the dentist proceeded with the 6 crowns. When he was done, I couldn't believe how much it changed my look. My whole face looks brighter, especially my eyes. I was pretty anxious going into work for the first time with the new teeth because one of the things that absolutely drives me crazy is when people comment on how I look (good or bad). However, it lifted within a couple days and I received a lot of compliments and positive feedback, which is still a little embarrassing for me.

This process has been physically painful at times and very costly (my mom now owns me for the next 3 years) but I can say without hesitation that it has all been worth it. I still have my own problems with my anxiety, but it is quite a relief to be able to fully express myself when I am happy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am obsessed with my stomach. I think it is always too big even though I am a normal weight. It has become even worse since I had a child. I wear some tight clothes but am always putting my jacket over it at work. Dumb I know.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I'm really obsessed over my hair. It always have to look perfect. If something happens to it or I have a bad hair day (like today), I feel kind of ugly. It's really stupid, I know.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm really obsessed over my hair. It always have to look perfect. If something happens to it or I have a bad hair day (like today), I feel kind of ugly. It's really stupid, I know.
I know what you mean. I will only take a shower and wash my hair in the morning because I can't stand bed hair

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I think my self consciousness about my appearance is the biggest factor of my SA. For one, I have a really feminine face for a guy. I used to get made fun of in school for looking like a girl by all the other guys. My lips are HUGE, I could be Angelina Jolie's brother. My nose is really big, too. It's really goofy looking, I can't stand it. Plus, I've had acne since I was 13, which just amplifies my ugliness. Also, over the past two years, my hair has started to fall out, which is driving me CRAZY. My dad is totally bald, and I can't imagine ending up like that. It literally scares me. Maybe within the next few years they'll invent a cheap, 100% effective cure for baldness (yeah, right, one can only dream).

·
Registered
10,521 Posts

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Yes. I have a lot of problems with my teeth and I will have to have almost all of them crowned one day. Anyway, I never smiled...just smirked or grinned. My teeth are very yellow and I had an unsightly crown on one of my incisors that jutted out past the other teeth. I would get very upset if someone took a photo of me and caught me with my mouth open and teeth showing. I subconsciously developed those behaviors that everyone does when they want to hide something about their appearance - I would frequently cover my mouth when speaking or laughing and not even know I was doing it. One day, I just decided I had enough and my dentist told me he could do a partial restoration...but one that would give me the most benefits - crowning the upper front 6 teeth. Those are the teeth that are exposed when smiling.

So, I went through with it. I first had to have a crown lengthening procedure done (a periodontist had to remove some of the gum in order to expose more of the natural tooth). Then, when that was healed, the dentist proceeded with the 6 crowns. When he was done, I couldn't believe how much it changed my look. My whole face looks brighter, especially my eyes. I was pretty anxious going into work for the first time with the new teeth because one of the things that absolutely drives me crazy is when people comment on how I look (good or bad). However, it lifted within a couple days and I received a lot of compliments and positive feedback, which is still a little embarrassing for me.

This process has been physically painful at times and very costly (my mom now owns me for the next 3 years) but I can say without hesitation that it has all been worth it. I still have my own problems with my anxiety, but it is quite a relief to be able to fully express myself when I am happy.
That's great to hear! I'm glad that it was able to make such a positive difference in your life!

My teeth are pretty messed up from years of neglect when I was drinking and it's probably the one thing that I'm most self conscious about. I hate smiling and every time I'm in a picture people are always telling me to "Smile! Show show teeth!" URGH!! I even find myself trying to keep my mouth as closed as possible when I talk so they don't show.

I'm trying to get the money together to do almost exactly the same thing as you had done, just get the ones that show fixed. All my teeth are healthy enough, just ugly as hell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm obsessed with my hair, too. I'm very particular and I try to get it right every morning, so usually I'll send forever on fixing it. Also, I'm slightly overweight, so I'm usually self-consicous and this raises my SA sometimes. :\

1 - 20 of 64 Posts