Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a physical "disability," or did you used to have one? Do you think this caused or contributed to your SA?

I was born with cataracts, like the ones that develop in older people. I got a lot of "special attention" from teachers, got taken out of class a lot for special ed testing, and was given these huge textbooks and standardized test manuals (like the size of my desktop,) which I didn't need. Needless to say, I got teased a great deal. I was also way overprotected by my mother because of it, and made to feel guilty about it, and told that I wouldn't be able to do things because of it (my mom is messed up.)

I think this has made me more compassionate, empathetic and determined. I also think it probably contributed to my SA.

This is not a "pity me" post. I've read that these types of experiences can contribute to SA; and, I'm just curious if anyone else here has had a similar experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just so you know, you're not alone......My sister was born with cataracts, another visual problem as well, that couldn't be corrected..........She has gone through the same thing...........Her mother basically told people she would never be able to leave home, wasn't allowed to do things.........

She currently lives with me, not because of her vision....... She is considered legally blind, she still has her own life;-) and can do almost anything I do, minus drive..........Sometimes, shes "Sees" better than me;-)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bon,

Yeah, I was lucky in that I was able to have my cataracts removed. It's cool that your sister doesn't let it stop her from doing stuff; I've always tried not to let it keep me from doing anything. I think it may be just one of several factors that have contributed to my SA.

Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have hypertonia, which is poor muscle tone. It basically ruins my fine motor skills. I was probably born with it. I had therapy for it, which helped, but still my coordination kind of sucks. :|

·
Registered
230 Posts
Interesting side notes to being legally blind. I know a guy who is legally blind but is an extreamly talented tattoo artist. The only hitch is that he basically has his face pressed up against your body when he tattoos you.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I have disfigurating, cystic acne which doubtless has contributed.

I also have idiopathic congenital leg deformities. My knee joints do not lock together well, and my legs are abnormally short for my height. This also means that I walk in an open-foot, 'penguin'-like fashion. Also, my hips are wider than most mens' because of how the head of the femur connects to my pelvis, and then is actually 'bent' and curves into the knee joint. It's kind of hard to describe unless you see me, but basically I have a penguin walk and my knees look caved in and thin.

I find this really embarrassing and think it contributes to my SA as well, especially with the opposite sex where you want to look attractive. I feel very unattractive. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.