Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Describe the problem dude; I've done some PHP work in the past, but my main specialities are Java/C++ though. However, providing it's not really advance stuff I may be able to help you out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You need to be more specific.

We can't just blindly say yes, for all we know this "help" could involve coding an entire website for you. If you have a problem (for example, a script that doesn't work as expected), then post it here (with [php][/php] tags), or on Pastebin if it's a large script.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
PHP needs to disappear from the web ASAP, and that can only happen when people stop prolonging it's lifespan by using it for new projects.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know php reasonably well. What exactly are you trying to do?

PHP needs to disappear from the web ASAP, and that can only happen when people stop prolonging it's lifespan by using it for new projects
Ummm, if that happened so would this board....and the vast majority of free forums...and er a little young to be so jaded aren't we :p .What exactly are you proposing we replace it with? Expensive Windows servers and .NET ? Or COBOL perhaps - like the good ol days....You don't actually say what the problem with PHP is...

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Ummm, if that happened so would this board....and the vast majority of free forums...and er a little young to be so jaded aren't we :p .What exactly are you proposing we replace it with? Expensive Windows servers and .NET ? Or COBOL perhaps - like the good ol days....You don't actually say what the problem with PHP is...
The only reason PHP is still in use is because nobody can be bothered to rewrite all the big projects that use it from scratch in a completely different language and as a result, it remains ubiquitous, making it the default choice for beginners who eventually end up creating their own projects in it, continuing to perpetuate it.

Even something horrible like Perl can do a better job than PHP, and Python has it's place too. PHP is simply never the best tool for any job.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
The only reason PHP is still in use is because nobody can be bothered to rewrite all the big projects that use it from scratch in a completely different language and as a result, it remains ubiquitous, making it the default choice for beginners who eventually end up creating their own projects in it, continuing to perpetuate it.

Even something horrible like Perl can do a better job than PHP, and Python has it's place too. PHP is simply never the best tool for any job.
It really comes down to preference and the way you code. If you're consistent and follow best practices, then just about any major language is going to be fine. The only real gripe I have with PHP is the sometimes inconsistent naming and parameter order for built-in functions.

While there is lots of bad code written in PHP, I've see lots of bad code written in other languages. The ease of use is both a blessing and a curse for PHP because someone completely inexperienced in programming can pick it up pretty quick and get something going.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
PHP has no real standard with plenty of constructs deprecated seemingly on a whim, messy naming conventions/parameters as already mentioned and imo a sub-par implementation of OOP.

But saying that, it's quick and easy to learn. There are also Frameworks that bring much needed order to the ad hoc nature of many parts of the language. Straight Vanilla PHP as it's known is a legitimate blemish in the field of web development, but using one of the multitude of customised Frameworks makes it a genuine option for all levels of web applications.

This forum for example is implemented in PHP, as is Facebook and other enterprise web applications. It definitely has it's issues, but to completely write it off would be a mistake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts