Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys n gals! :D This is the first post I've made since starting, just something random I've been considering. Does anyone else find that:

When they look in the mirror, they look average-to-good-looking, but
When they see photos of themselves, they look so UGLY it's just unreal :lol

I never know what people see; the you from the mirror, or the you from photos? Some say the photo-you is the real one, because mirrors are usually fixed under the same lighting at the same angle, whereas photos catch you in less flattering lighting and angles. But in photos, you're not moving like you are a in a mirror! It's so hard to be sure lol. Any experts out there understand why we look so different in each?

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Well, for one, you see yourself, real time, in a mirror, so you're going to constantly be posing when looking at yourself. You also are only able to see yourself from a very limited angle, and from a very limited perspective, and be limited in the body positions you take. You won't usually be talking when looking at yourself, and you won't be able to see yourself blinking. Also, I'm going to guess that the lighting around the mirrors you're most often looking at (bathroom mirrors) is going to be usually only coming from above, and in front of you.

Contrast that with a picture, which can be taken at any moment, from any angle, which you might not be posing for, or which will catch you as you're making a strange face, in the moment of talking, or whatever. The lighting will be very variable, and, if it's taken with a direct flash, it'll be very ugly actually (deer in headlights type of look).

The thing is, we like to see ourselves as the person we see in the mirror, that's who we're used to seeing, and that's what we think everyone else sees, however a candid picture is usually a more accurate presentation of what we actually look like.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The thing is, we like to see ourselves as the person we see in the mirror, that's who we're used to seeing, and that's what we think everyone else sees, however a candid picture is usually a more accurate presentation of what we actually look like.
oh great.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
this is so easy

Just look at pictures of people you know versus how you see them in real life

there is no comparison because in real life people are vibrant, and a lot of beauty depends on how vibrant people are, where as in photos most people dont look that good.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I think I generally look better in pictures than in the mirror, but then most pictures of me are awful. I think I look better if I can take the picture myself, or if I'm not aware of the picture being taken. If I know that a picture's being taken then I panic and look awkward and end up pulling a face. I try to run away from cameras if I can.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
I think I generally look better in pictures than in the mirror, but then most pictures of me are awful. I think I look better if I can take the picture myself, or if I'm not aware of the picture being taken. If I know that a picture's being taken then I panic and look awkward and end up pulling a face. I try to run away from cameras if I can.
If people are so curious as to how they appear, they should video tape themselves. However i find that we always base our own judgement of our appearances based on our confidence.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Cameras are just unable to record light and things as we see it in real life. Take it from a photographer who photographs lots of models, anybody who looks amazing in real life can look bad in a photograph... that's why for photoshoots you need a make-up artist who understands photographic make-up, good lighting and a model who poses well and knows how to angle their body for photographic purposes.

Not only is it the light recorded by the film or sensor in a camera that makes people look more inaccurate in a photograph, but... it could be the lens (Wide angle distorts an image more differently to say a long telephoto lens).. 50mm-85mm are generally the best kind of portrait lenses.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If people are so curious as to how they appear, they should video tape themselves. However i find that we always base our own judgement of our appearances based on our confidence.
Yeah, I look worse on video. No video for me thanks.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
video is no go zone for me. too..gross
Although I'm trying to be active about showing photos of me without feeling like I will be judged

My mental image of myself in the mirror and in photos totally differ, so usually I will look at my photos and try to accept myself like that
I think generally most ppl think they will look good in the mirror
Everytime I go in the elevator at school there are ppl. checking themselves out hehe
Once in the toilet I saw this lady just smiling in the mirror looking at herself lol

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts

I don't smile for picture...

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Cameras are just unable to record light and things as we see it in real life. Take it from a photographer who photographs lots of models, anybody who looks amazing in real life can look bad in a photograph... that's why for photoshoots you need a make-up artist who understands photographic make-up, good lighting and a model who poses well and knows how to angle their body for photographic purposes.

Not only is it the light recorded by the film or sensor in a camera that makes people look more inaccurate in a photograph, but... it could be the lens (Wide angle distorts an image more differently to say a long telephoto lens).. 50mm-85mm are generally the best kind of portrait lenses.
Very true, but I would argue that photographs are just as powerful in idealizing people as well. We pick out the very best pictures of ourselves to show others, I don't think this is an accurate representation of what we actually look like though, only what we want ourselves to look like.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'm slowly comfortable smiling for the camera

As an afterthought, I've seen really attractive ppl that photos don't do justice so that just shows you their personality may play a factor in attractiveness

And looks shouldn't be the most important right ;) Its just a vessel and one day it's gonna be old and wrinkly - there will always be someone prettier, more intelligent etc. The most important is how you feel about yourself #advice of the day, lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Very true, but I would argue that photographs are just as powerful in idealizing people as well. We pick out the very best pictures of ourselves to show others, I don't think this is an accurate representation of what we actually look like though, only what we want ourselves to look like.
Yes that's very true, and with photoshop at our disposal we can make ourselves look however we like... a little nip here a little tuck there.

In a sense candids can never really capture how amazing a moment is, and in another sense posed portraits are far too unrealistic.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
get a better camera.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm slowly comfortable smiling for the camera

As an afterthought, I've seen really attractive ppl that photos don't do justice so that just shows you their personality may play a factor in attractiveness

And looks shouldn't be the most important right ;) Its just a vessel and one day it's gonna be old and wrinkly - there will always be someone prettier, more intelligent etc. The most important is how you feel about yourself #advice of the day, lol
Excellent point ;) I don't think much of mine because, as you say, they don't really matter. Which is lucky, because I don't have any :teeth It all comes back to SA, that's what makes so many of us think we look awful when we probably don't. Feeling good about yourself IS important - if only it were as easy to do as to say!

·
Abendfuchs
1,357 Posts
Well a mirror is a mirror image of yourself, so no one else sees you that way except for yourself. Just like they don't see the mirrored-backwards letters on your shirt.

You get used to your mirrored self, so when you see your real self it may look different so you don't like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts