Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have phone phobia. I get a terrible rush of anxiety at the thought of talking on the phone. I have a 30 minute phone interview tomorrow for a job at a call center. LOL. This would actually be an improvement, though, from my current job as a door to door salesperson. HAHAHA!!! I think I must really hate myself!
Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with phone anxiety??

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I would look up common interview questions and write out points on a piece of paper on how you would respond. If you freeze during the phone interview you can quickly peer down at your paper and be reminded of what you wanted to say if you were prepared ahead of time for the question. Or even ask someone you're comfortable with to interview you on the phone.

If you want me to mock interview you on the phone, I'd be happy to call you and work with you. Hope your interview goes well. :squeeze

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awww, meepie!! You're great!!! That's such a nice offer. I wish I could take you up on it!! Unfortunately, I am too terrified to even do that on the phone!! I can only talk on the phone when it is an absolute MUST. I wish so badly I could overcome this. I can't even talk to my best friend on the phone. I can only text her. The ONLY person I can talk to on the phone is my son. I guess because I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he loves me unconditionally and never judges me. Even if I sometimes sit there with really nothing to say. We'll sometimes just sit in quiet together while we both do other things and it's not weird at all, but with other people, they expect you to keep a conversation going. In person, I'm not uncomfortable with silence. On the phone, it terrifies me. WHY?!?!?!?!

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
telesales

is personally my most elevated immature form of evil

If I had a chance to do the job I would try

especially requires a level of aggression I think it does. I could do it.

My opinion is that we use our visual sense for most things. A barking dog on the phone doesn't sell me and commercial products, but I do love the behaviour of any barking dog, wherever I go; because I can see the dog.

I do stop and talk with mormons in a street.

The phone is an extremely dark, dirty corner of my life. Strictly for blind people only

I wonder if anyone ever enjoyed the BBC Radio drama The Archers

I might be OK with it but the extended pressure to act on the phone is tough

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Awww, meepie!! You're great!!! That's such a nice offer. I wish I could take you up on it!! Unfortunately, I am too terrified to even do that on the phone!! I can only talk on the phone when it is an absolute MUST. I wish so badly I could overcome this. I can't even talk to my best friend on the phone. I can only text her. The ONLY person I can talk to on the phone is my son. I guess because I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he loves me unconditionally and never judges me. Even if I sometimes sit there with really nothing to say. We'll sometimes just sit in quiet together while we both do other things and it's not weird at all, but with other people, they expect you to keep a conversation going. In person, I'm not uncomfortable with silence. On the phone, it terrifies me. WHY?!?!?!?!
There you go, perhaps your son can help you out. :yes Hey it would even benefit to use some guided imagery to imagine you are talking to your son and the person talking isn't judging you at all. Just a casual conversation. Just remember they probably do this with thousands of people and you won't be the first one to make a mistake on the phone. In fact, I encourage you to make mistakes, that's how we learn. To a good employer, your mistakes won't discount your experience and responses to their questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts