Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this big oral presentation in my 12th grade sociology glass (I almost skipped school to avoid it and I thought I was going to die, but I did it!) on social anxiety and in doing my research I discovered that being afraid to use the telephone is actually a part of social anxiety, which I didn't know.

I'm almost completely unable to use a telephone. I avoid it at all costs. I never call my friends on the phone, family. We have caller ID so when someone call's I check it and unless it's something I know I can't avoind answering I'll just ingore it and inform whomever I see next that I was in the bathroom and didn't get to the phone.

I'm curious if anyone else has this type of problem, with the phone specifically, I mean. When I mentioned it in my presentation one of my classmates asked if it was the actual device or the person on the other end that I was afraid of. Heh. Definitely the person on the other end.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I can totally relate. Right now, the phone is one of my biggest fears & biggest problems. There are times when I can answer it but then, there are times when I can't handle the thought of touching it. I can't even call one of those numbers that use automated systems out of fear that I'll have to talk to a real person somewhere along the line. Just thinking about checking my voice mail makes me panic.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I can definitely relate. I don't mind answering the phone too much, but I dread making calls. I'll beg people to call for me. My mom makes most of my calls for me, for doctors and dentists and stuff. I can't get myself to do it. :(

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really don't like using the telephone. I can do it, but it is very anxiety-producing. So I don't call anyone unless I absolutely have to. I'm glad the internet came along because I find it to be a much less difficult way of communication, finding out information, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I was little, I was not afraid to use the phone. When I was a teenager/young adult, I started to become afraid to use the phone. It started with calling girls, but then it became more generalized. Now that I am an adult, I am starting to get over the phone phobia, but even now, I only call when it is impossible or too urgent to email whomever it is that I want to talk to.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah definetley with making phone calls because it's like your pressured to talk the whole time to make conversation. I get really nervous calling my boyfriend because there are like 6 other people in the house and anyone of them could pick up. When you dial the number and while it's ringing i get really nervous with anticipation like leading to a panic attack. Then when like his mom picks up im like oh no!! in my head and have to say the same words each time which is repetitive
"is mike there?" I feel i should make a bit of small talk with her since she picks up the phone most of the time but its too hard ugh it stresses me out.One time his brother answered and i thought it was my b/f and i just talked to him and he said "uh i assume your looking for mike"in a really annoyed voice, well i just died. I just hate the tone of my voice ugh and its really distorted when im nervous too. Also, when they make long pauses and the fact you cant see their facial expression to know what they're really thinking bothers me too.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Nicole said:
I'll just ingore it and inform whomever I see next that I was in the bathroom and didn't get to the phone.
quote]

oh my I use the same excuse all the time ^^

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sheri said:
I can definitely relate. I don't mind answering the phone too much, but I dread making calls. I'll beg people to call for me. My mom makes most of my calls for me, for doctors and dentists and stuff. I can't get myself to do it. :(
me too, and i CANNOT explain it. i cant come up with a reason for why i feel like that. I'd call the doctor to help me with this, but ...that would require me calling one, so :con

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I hate using the phone because I don't know who it's going to be on the other line, so I usually wait for the answer machine to get the message. I don't have a problem answering my cell phone though. Odd? :con

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
rjridley said:
When I was little, I was not afraid to use the phone. When I was a teenager/young adult, I started to become afraid to use the phone.
It's odd that you mentioned that... I was fine using the phone, usually being on it for hours with girlfriends & my family until I was about 35. Right after my oldest was born, it's like I shut down & one thing that I couldn't bring myself to do was answer the phone if I didn't know who was on the other end. Now, even when I know who's on the other end, I have a really hard time taking the call.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a really bad phone phobia. I've had it since I was little, though. I could never call for pizza, a store to see when it opens, etc. Recently I had to call video rental places to see if they had something I needed for school, and it took me ten minutes of shaking and panicking before I could pick it up. I had to write down what I was going to say because I knew my mind would go blank!

I never answer the phone if I can help it, either.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I also have a bad case of phone-anxiety, i can't even call my relatives, i hate talking on the phone to anyone.

·
Registered
373 Posts
unnamed said:
Yea I get this bad.. Takes days to psyche myself up to make a phone call.. I always stuff up and mix up my words first things I say to the person.
Me too. I usually try to figure out what I'm going to say before I make the call so I don't sound like a complete idiot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can definitely relate to this. My SA is at its worst with the phone. In my early teens, I used the phone alot. I hit 16 and BAMM!

How do you get a GF when you can't talk on the phone?

I rarely answer it. Make very few calls and get a panic attack when I do. Hard to get my words out. I have no friends to call anyway.

I have gotten a little better. I do make calls to get things fixed/changed, have a problem with a bill, cable TV is out, Dentist, etc. No real problems there.

But I still can not call a neighbor/relative/friend....People I know personally. It's much easier to call someone you don't know.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.