Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be accumulating phobias. I first only had a great fear of dogs but now I realized I do not like/ am scared of cats, pet birds and mostly any pet other than a fish. I'm also scared of looking stupid and therefore don't ask questions. I also don't have a driver's license yet (I'm 20) because of a fear of driving (I don't know if this is because of my SA or because I have a seperate phobia of driving). I also developed OCD at some point in early middle school. I feel like such a failure. Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I used to fear dogs as a child, my aunty had 2 huge dobermans, I would scream everytime I went to visit them. Once I was walking to school and a dog ran across the road to 'greet' me. I ran screaming my guts out. The whole school saw it!
Then one day I was at a family friends and their little dog was so kind and gentle. The next thing I knew the poor dog was so tired from running and catching the ball I was throwing around the yard, I spent hours playing catch with this dog. Then when it was time to leave, I wanted to take the dog with me. lol. I must of been about 12 years old. That was the first time I felt comfortable with dogs.
Dogs still scare me a little, like dobermans and pitbulls. But if I am confronted with a big scary dog. I try to act as relaxed as possible, no sudden movements or eye contact. My heart is pounding, but I dont show how scared I am, because animals can pick up on fear and play you.
I think with phobias of animals in particular, its all about being introduced slowly and getting to know the animal, read their body language etc. Little steps. Try going to a dog club. Tell them about your phobia. There are some places that specifically cater for these types of phobias.

I think a fear of 'preditory' animals is completely human, its comes down to the flight or fight response. We are after all.. animals.. and all animals have this.

Its important to remember those animals lower on the food chain, are more scared of you then you are of them as we are the preditors. :)

Personally I have a love of those lower on the food chain. I have pet birds and a pet bunny.

I also fear driving. Im 24 and still dont have my licence. :( I think it comes down to a fear of failure for me. I think if I make a mistake. It will be like playing with death. I see a car as a weapon that can kill in an instant.

I have a weird phobia of not being able to swallow meat. Especially lamb and beef. When I was a child my babysitter would make me sit at the table for hours.. because when she gave me meat for dinner EVERY NIGHT, I would hold the meat in my mouth for hours without swallowing. Shed get so angry at me. Sometimes I just had to spit it out after being forced to sit at the table till my mum or dad came to pick me up.
I can swallow meat now, but still fear not being able to.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Enemies and fake friends are mine...I dont leave home without protection, and if I forget I become incredibly anxious. I'm working on it with a pdoc from the free clinic though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When anyone asks me a question (one on one, but not in a classroom and ONLY with adults) doesn't matter what it is ....I want to cry lol... it's weird... I mean when i was younger i was really good at forcing back tears and now i couldn't do it to save my life.
I don't know why its one on one and i dont know why its only with adults but it is what it is... >_<

·
Among the ashes
1,464 Posts
I have a terrible phobia of spiders, and a pretty bad fear of wasps and hornets. Probably because I've been stung and bitten by so many and because growing up they all used to get into my bedroom quite frequently-which I became extremely paranoid about over the years. It's weird but I tend to dread when summer comes around because of this...lol. And I also don't have a license yet. When I had the chance to learn at 16 I wasn't ready, too afraid and didn't trust myself behind the wheel.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a pretty bad fear of bees and wasps. I was stung a few times growing up which is what caused it, along with the fact that we've also had 2 or 3 bees nests in our garden over the years. I dread the summer months when it gets hot because there are always bees and wasps about outside, and sometimes they fly indoors too. I feel anxious just thinking about it... :afr

·
Banned
728 Posts
I'm afraid of being "alone" (never finding love)

Its called "Anuptaphobia" (fear of being single)

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I was a kid, I had a fear of dogs after being bitten by a large black dog.
One day when I was walking to school, a dog came up to me and sniffed me and I ran(big mistake) and it chased me trying to bite my leg, Luckily when I was a kid I was really quick and agile and hopped a high fence to get away.
I finally got over my fear of dogs when I got a pet labrador retreiver.

I also used to have night terrors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts