Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there have a phobia or a 'dislike' of people laughing and joking with each other ? being amongst it is sometimes unavoidable and is horrible for me

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
Yes. I can be slow with jokes and don't always get if they're serious or not until I know the person better. I also hate when they expect me to laugh. I can do it a little, but I can never crack up unless I'm relaxed and I hate feeling like I have to force a laugh. When I'm really nervous I can barely smile. People bantering and teasing each other around me makes me anxious because it's fast paced and I feel pressure to say something smart alecy back which I can't do. It's a significant part of my SA.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's because in groups there is a bullying mentality and everybody wants to say something smart or funny to look good and clever usually it's the quiet ones who suffer the brunt of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. I can be slow with jokes and don't always get if they're serious or not until I know the person better. I also hate when they expect me to laugh. I can do it a little, but I can never crack up unless I'm relaxed and I hate feeling like I have to force a laugh. When I'm really nervous I can barely smile. People bantering and teasing each other around me makes me anxious because it's fast paced and I feel pressure to say something smart alecy back which I can't do. It's a significant part of my SA.
+1
It's like you read my mind. Im exactly like this.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey because welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I have a phobia of people laughing and joking because I think they are referring to me. Any time I see a group of people laughing, I always think that it could be me they are laughing at which sometimes is not the case and sometimes it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i think i've always had a thing about feeling excluded from a group of people laughing and joking together while i felt miserable and unable to join in. and even tho rationally i knew that they were not ostracizing me or anything, i juz automatically think that they are and couldn't suppress that irrationality. would that be the case with u?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Because! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts