Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I just read Dr. Harold Levisson's book "Phobia Free" and was very encouraged at the different angle it takes on the cause and solution of phobias! My concern is the book was published in 1988 and I cannot seem to find information since that date, verifying his research. Has anyone read this great book and have more information on curing social phobia as the book prescribes?

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I've had that book for a couple years now. I'm as intrigued as ever by the CVS anxiety/phobia link. See my thread:here.

A quote from my post there:
Differential diagnosis of organic versus psychogenic dizziness is further complicated by the very high prevalence of anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia among people with diagnosed balance disorders (Clark et al., 1994; Stein et al., 1994; Sullivan et al., 1993; Yardley et al., 1998b) and the unexpectedly high prevalence of balance system dysfunction in patients with panic disorder and agoraphobia that can be detected by sensitive tests (Jacob et al., 1996; Yardley et al., 1995a).
The only problem with the book I will venture to say is that it/he focuses on medication for treatment and from researching it on the web I don't think the medications available actually work very well. In fact from what I read such meds actually prevent compensation from taking place. The articles I've found support Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy but such therapy is usually only prescribed for people with dizziness/vertigo as the problem symptom of their vestibular dysfunction. Many people it seems don't stick with the exercises because they bring on the dizziness or temporarily make it worse but that's the only way to force compensation to take place. It's a no pain no gain kind of thing.

I've been regularly doing some balance type exercises for about a month now and I think I'm seeing improvement. It is subtle but I just seem to feel more stable, more self-assured in social situations. I have a definite improvement in the romberg test I do occasionally. But with some of the exercises I've been doing I know there is much more room for improvement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts