Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little embarrising and mabye tmi ,but
Does anyone else have a problem with going in public restrooms?
Sometimes I can't go if there's someone in the next stall.
Ecspecially if it's really quiet.
So I try to avoid this as much as possible.
There's been times when I really really had to go,but I couldnt stand the thought of someone hearing me wiz, so I just held
it until I got home or whatever.
This isn't a really big deal. It doesnt have a huge impact on my life or anything.
Just curious if anyone else deals with this issue?

·
Registered
159 Posts
There is a movie theatre in SF that only has one stall and then there is a line that forms right outside it. It's not even a conscious choice to hold it. I can't even make myself use it in that case although I have tried.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just do a search on the forum, I promise you quite a few threads will come up. It even has a medical term-shy bladder you can google.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't like it but I go because I gotta go. I am usually suspicious about a guy in the next stall and i watch his eyes with my peripheral vision to make sure he's not gay and trying to sneak a peek. All in all, my anxiety and fear level never goes up past a 4 out of ten.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've had self-consciousness going in public restrooms, but since women always have separate stalls, sometimes I flush before I go so it makes noise. Generally I just bear the little tension and discomfort and do what I need to do.

I did have one experience years ago when a gay gal, who I liked actually, but when I was on the toilet I looked up and could see her looking right at me through the crack between the door and the stall wall. That was really not cool. Since then I will be checking between, looking at those gaps to check in case someone can see. Never had anyone do that to my again, though.

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
It's called paruresis. There is a really good support forum just for it at paruresis.org. It's maybe the biggest manifestation of my SA, but some people have it to such an extent that they can only use their own bathroom and it really worsens their quality of life.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think a few people on this forum have that problem. My only problem is taking a number 2 in public because of the noises.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
I can't go when people are talking on their mobile phones in the bathroom. I always think the person on the other end will hear me haha.

·
Fluffernutters!
9 Posts
It's definitely not uncommon. I get rather anxious when using public restrooms, but I've gotten a lot better than I used to be. In the past, other people around made it nearly impossible; I'd stand in the stall (I'm a guy, but I always use stalls because of shyness), trying but doing absolutely nothing, and the thought that other people would be wondering why some guy was just standing there in the stall doing nothing made it that much worse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it's just me and one other person, I usually wait for them to leave before I go. Sometimes both of us resist. If that's the case, I go and come back later or find another bathroom... If there's more than one other person, I feel alright to go. Depends how quiet it is... Damn bathrooms, why can't they be soundproof or something? I use the disabled toilets when possible to avoid the awkwardness of it all. (though I fear coming out one day to find a really disabled person waiting >_<)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I just posted about this on another thread.

I can't use the urinals at all. I used to in my single digit years, but all of the sudden I don't know when, I have to use the stalls.

If its really quiet in there and other dudes are in there, I can't go and I'm just standing there nervous as hell with my business all hangin' out. I'll sit like a girl when this happens and most of the time I'm able to relax and go, some times I just have to hold it.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
This is one of the worse things, if I can I'll just hold it until I get home rather than use a public restroom.

·
Registered
464 Posts
For me it's the germs... I'm a germaphobe and I can't stand the thought of having to sit on a disease-laden, urine-soaked seat. I'd have to be desperate before I use a public restroom!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hate when people can hear me pee, especially when i got to go bad and its a long one. I think people are like damn how long is he going to pee for.

lol

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I've had this problem since I was a kid. I could never use public restrooms unless I had to go really bad. And then I would go in and make sure nobody was in there first. If I saw anyone, I'd just go back out and wait until I saw them leave.

I also never would shower and change with the rest of the boys after gym when I was in school.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts