Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i was considering how many times i have been personally attacked in chat on this website or have seen someone ELSE personally attacked, whether in the forums or in the chat room, and i realised that it happens a LOT. it shouldn't happen on any website, of course, but it ESPECIALLY shouldn't happen here, where people come to feel safe. it happens much more often than it should, and i feel like proper action isn't being taken against people who personally attack others. one shouldn't get the same punishment for bypassing the swear filter as for personally insulting another person, right? so i guess i'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem, and why this is being allowed to continue. not trying to pick a fight with the mods... just curious.

also, i don't want this thread to get locked, so please don't be argumentative.

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
I think the consistency of the moderating here leaves a little to be desired. We have members getting infractions for saying the word "mas tur bate" (spaces used on purpose) but then when someone else attacks another members quite harshly we never hear about it again, and it just keeps on happening.

There are some serial offenders particularly in chat who just do it day in day out whether mods are present or not and nothing ever seems to be done about it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I think the consistency of the moderating here leaves a little to be desired. We have members getting infractions for saying the word "mas tur bate" (spaces used on purpose) but then when someone else attacks another members quite harshly we never hear about it again, and it just keeps on happening.

There are some serial offenders particularly in chat who just do it day in day out whether mods are present or not and nothing ever seems to be done about it.
We have the cuss filter to keep the site family-friendly.

Even though we are moderators, we cannot be everywhere at once. We strongly encourage people to report things like this - it is kept confidential.

Most of the time, the actions of the moderation team is "behind the scenes" - you don't see it, but the moderation team does.
We have chat logs - so if you are able to pinpoint a time and day, let us know and we will look through them.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even though we are moderators, we cannot be everywhere at once. We strongly encourage people to report things like this - it is kept confidential.

Most of the time, the actions of the moderation team is "behind the scenes" - you don't see it, but the moderation team does.
We have chat logs - so if you are able to pinpoint a time and day, let us know and we will look through them.
^ in the incident i mentioned, the person abused me for ten minutes because i asked him to chill out after he made an insulting joke. a moderator was in the room and said nothing. after i left, someone IMed me to say the moderator had told the person "you're bordering on a personal attack." i figured since he had at last commented, there was no point in reporting the guy. i have a date and time written down on the pad next to my computer at home (i was really angry when it happened so i wrote it down just in case) but i won't be home until late monday night.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I'll see what we can do. My bet would be the moderator was there just for presence and monitoring.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
Tiger,
I'm assuming the moderator in question was me. I do not recall the incident. I will often be in chat but actually doing something else and not actually paying attention 100% of the time. The "you're bordering on a personal attack." comment was most likely made about a post that I did see and was not a direct attack.

Ospi,
It's not saying the word masturbate that gets Infractions. It's discussing masturbation or describing it that gets them.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I agree with the title - personal attacks have no place here. My own personal guideline for a happy life on the internet - Don't make it personal. There is just no need for "I disagree with you" to turn into "OMG you're so totally wrong how could you be so stupid???!!!!"

I haven't seen a whole lot of personal attacks here - if I see a definite one I'll report it, but I've only done that once recently. I'm rarely in Chat.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
There are more here than you think, actually. We do a really good job of catching them - due in part to your reporting them :yes.

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
Top bloke. And lars removed/has his post removed. What a surprise.

Anyway will use the report function more from now on if it seems fit.

·
Banned
728 Posts
recently i was considering how many times i have been personally attacked in chat on this website or have seen someone ELSE personally attacked, whether in the forums or in the chat room, and i realised that it happens a LOT. it shouldn't happen on any website, of course, but it ESPECIALLY shouldn't happen here, where people come to feel safe. it happens much more often than it should, and i feel like proper action isn't being taken against people who personally attack others. one shouldn't get the same punishment for bypassing the swear filter as for personally insulting another person, right? so i guess i'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem, and why this is being allowed to continue. not trying to pick a fight with the mods... just curious.

also, i don't want this thread to get locked, so please don't be argumentative.
I agree. Although from staying away from chat, i haven't had any problems so far since then. There have been some dodgy posts/threads, but usually i can tell from the title whether it will be offensive or not.

So i can avoid these things if i can.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
case in point, after this thread showed up i was e-mailed a notification about a nasty comment on this thread which has since been removed, plus a nasty comment on one of my pictures. both comments have been reported.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Are you kidding me? Some kid was calling me out basically calling me a pu$$y though not in those terms exactly and challenging to pm me his location threatening to kill me etc. and in the end I was infracted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts