Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396171/ If so, what did you think?

I heard that it got good reviews when it came out, but saw it for the first time the other day and just couldn't get into it. Although it looked good, and it's always great to see Dustin Hoffman, even in a small part, the story just seemed really daft and the main character completely unsympathetic.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I loved the book and hated the movie so very much. The book is absolutely wonderful.

In the book, you do have sympathy for Grenouille and his "mission." Although he doesn't really have any remose or any true emotions aside from those he gets from scents, he has a bizarre and kind of heartbreaking life story that caused it. He has one true passion in his life, and goes to ridiculous lengths to capture and study scent/perfume.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I read the book in the original German, and found it pretty hard to get through. Maybe if I read it in English it would have been better. Haven't seen the movie.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ah it was okay. watchable but ya i thought it would be better. idk though i never read the book didnt even know their was a book lol

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the book, you do have sympathy for Grenouille and his "mission." Although he doesn't really have any remose or any true emotions aside from those he gets from scents, he has a bizarre and kind of heartbreaking life story that caused it.
Maybe that was part of the problem with the film, since you didn't learn much about his background and what you did see was just a tad offputting. The beginning of the film, with the plastic baby covered in gore, didn't do much to raise my sympathy levels. It was more disgusting and disturbing than anything else. I was just thinking "uggg, that's disgusting" and "how wierd: that looks like the robot baby that crawled across the ceiling in Trainspotting"! :um

MaidMarian said:
I read the book in the original German, and found it pretty hard to get through.
Wow, that must have been pretty hard going!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts