Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I do this to myself; but it's like I'm always trying to be a perfectionist about every little thing down to the smallest detail. For instance in school I'm majoring in biology but I have no plans to go to any professional school or graduate programs, yet I still find myself worrying about my GPA and kicking myself for getting B's! I also find myself studying for exams I'll never take like the MCAT as if I was on some strict deadline, just to see if I can know all the information. Another example, about 6 months ago I found a small tiny ding on my car (not noticeable at all) and yet it drives me crazy just knowing it's there. I'm also pretty meticulous about the desk in my room, like I have to make everything properly lined up and 'coordinated'.

For some stupid reason I also worry about my money situation, despite the fact that I have more than enough funds to meet my needs. I always have to stay above $1,500 or I start panicking. I don't have any major bills since I’m still living at home, only car insurance, gas and tech-toy expenses. Will have student loans after I graduate though...which is a whole other worry all together. :afr

This especially drives me crazy because it's really starting to affect my health, I haven't had an awesome night's sleep in over 4-5 years and occasionally I have heart palpitations. I just wish I could let go and stop putting all this unneeded pressure on myself; but it seems like if I wasn't concentrating on all this stuff I'd just be staring at a blank wall. It seems like this would be pretty common for SA'ers--just wanted to see exactly how common. :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
ssmcivicsi said:
For some stupid reason I also worry about my money situation, despite the fact that I have more than enough funds to meet my needs. I always have to stay above $1,500 or I start panicking. I don't have any major bills since I'm still living at home, only car insurance, gas and tech-toy expenses. Will have student loans after I graduate though...which is a whole other worry all together. :afr
I know what you mean. I'm always saving every penny and reading financial books, eventhough I'm only 21. I always feel that if I don't start now I'll end up on the streets or something. It's smart to start early, but I can't even buy a couple of CDs without feeling bad.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Ssmcivicsi,

For may people there is a correlation between perfectionism and social anxiety disorder. For me, I get upset if my handwriting isn't perfect, or my numbers don't line up. I have a systematic way of doing certain things - have to finish a certain way, etc.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would consider myself borderline perfectionist... (?) i'm more concerned about how i look to others and i like things to be clean and organized, but i'm not 'that' obsessive about it, but i think to some it may be considered perfectionist, i dunno, just my my point of view of myself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm a total perfectionist, that's why my anticipitory work anxiety was always so bad, I put way too much pressure on myself to be a perfect employee. I think my SA might have something to do with the fact that I'm not a naturally social person, socializing is not something I do well, so maybe that's why I panic in those situations and can't think of anything to say. Like, if I can't be perfect, I shouldn't do it at all or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had a problem with being a perfectionist most of my life. After several years of therapy, I am better about it, but there are some times when my perfectionist behavior can get on everyone's nerves (especially my husband's!). I have to have everything neat and orderly and my husband is the opposite. I find that I am very critical of myself, too, which makes it difficult for me to feel like I'm worth hanging out with (probably attribute that to the SA).

·
Registered
3 Posts
So many people have told me that I'm a perfectionist, which I guess I agree with. I don't worry about money, but I am a neat and organizational 'freak'. Everything in my room has to be in perfect position, my clothes are arranged according to color, and I remember once spending an ENTIRE HOUR (no breaks) just arranging the pillows on top of my bed because it didn't look "perfect". I remember some people say that kids who are so intent on coloring inside the lines are perfectionists-in-training and I've always been that way...I don't think I expect perfection from everything, but I just like for things to be a certain way. I always felt that maybe because I don't feel put-together on the inside, I like to 'look' that way on the outside...you know what I mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this perfectionism to. I'm webdeveloper and i'm never happy with my work. I always think it's not good fitted or i forgot something.

Its increase also my anxiety when i'm having the days where i want everything to pefect.

What helps me when i have this is that i take my bike and do a ride in the nature to relax or in winter times i'll put a cd on and try to forget about it but it's very hard to calm down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i wonder if perfectionism is the same as intensity? intensity being how easily your brain gets excited. the more exciteable the more obsessive you are. you are very keyed up and alert. i would be very upset by a ding on my car. i get upset when someone cuts me off in traffic. i can clean and clean my car and i can only see how bad it looks. i try for higher and higher grades when i was just taking a course to relax with no professional aspirations.

intensity/perfectionism makes it more likely you will have sa. any kind of anxiety makes you more susceptable to other types of anxiety. if you are too proud/stubborn to show weakness i think this would cause more sa. for example, if you are in calculus class and you don't understand the lesson, you might be more likely to feel ashamed and hide the fact that you don't understand. this hiding of feelings , especially feelings of social inadequacy, i think, will cause more sa. the more sa you have the more intensity you have so it becomes a vicious cycle to a certain extent. more intensity=>more sa=>>more intensity=>more sa

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the interesting experience of sitting beside a very easygoing guy. He was the last born of a large family. He had zero intensity. He had no motivation. He was naturally bright but did not use his intelligence. he had a very simple belief system. he was 45 but looked 65.he was proud that he could get into the movies as a pensioner. he dressed like a bum. he had a huge pot belly. he bascially slept through the day. he would rest his food on a desk surface where people had been walking. he would drop food on a dirty floor and pick up and eat. he was a complete failure financially and professionally due to lack of motivation. he was very sociable and did all the talking in class. in other words, he was the opposite of an obsessive/intense person. he was a shy person and even nervous socially but i think his low intensity insulated him from the harsher effects of sa. anyway, it is interesting to see someone suffering from lack of intenstiy. unfortunately, i did not absorb any of his easygoing nature or vice versa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts