Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bastards, every single one of them.

'These are the best years you'll ever have, I'd give my right nut to go back there.'

From hearing this stuff, I thought you'd get your social life handed to you on a platter, but no. Where I go, it's no easier than going out on the street to meet friends.

Someone said the other day how lucky I was to be just starting. Now I'm trying to decide what weapon to kill him with.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
From hearing this stuff, I thought you'd get your social life handed to you on a platter
Unfortunately it isn't. I've been in university for like six years and I don't find it any easier to meet anyone.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Now I'm trying to decide what weapon to kill him with.
Good.
Those sort of people are sort of like frozen in time for 4 years. They get all "liberated" at uni. Then when they finish, they're back to some old facts of life...like feeling of imprisonment. Then some of them think that if they're given a chance to do it all over again, they would somehow come off even better than now. They fact is...they would do everything the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
College isn't bad, just boring at the moment. But its becoming less boring for me as I become invloved in things. :popcorn I like it way better than high school but I miss my friends from high school...sigh I can't have it all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ghostgurl said:
They said that about highschool too. :roll
Exactly what I was going to say. "The best four years of your life." *snort* Only for people who have lots of friends.

·
Registered
48 Posts
university is definetely not easy I agree, but i do understand when people say that school and university are the best years of your life.

after study things can get a lot more difficult, we arent forced into rooms with a lot of people and many of us become reclusive.

on the other hand some people may find great jobs and be a lot happier.

but from my point of view, someone who is 4 weeks away from finishing uni forever.............uni is looking a lot better than the burning fire pit i feel exposed to now trying to find work. :stu

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understand why some people say college was the best time of their lives and I'm happy for them. College has many more opportunities for social interaction with so many different kinds of people in one place than anywhere else. I think that's what people are referring to and that is what makes college unique and especially intimidating when you've got SA. But your social life is never handed to you on a platter no matter where you go. It is something you will always have to work for.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Honestly, I think it is great that some people say they were the best years of their lives. That means it's all downhill from there for them. It makes me all the more determined to make the years afterward the best of mine!

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
millenniumman75 said:
Honestly, I think it is great that some people say they were the best years of their lives. That means it's all downhill from there for them. It makes me all the more determined to make the years afterward the best of mine!
The title of our senior year high school yearbook was "Those Were the Best Days of Our Lives." Still good for a laugh to this day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's comforting to know that there are other people who feel the same way as me. It's so annoying and frustrating to be surrounded by throngs of hedonistic college kids partying and forming relationships and having the time of their lives with friends.

It makes me sick. I would like nothing better than to see everyone else's college years ruined. Except for those few who are nice to me. All three of them.

Reactions: shellzzz

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
millenniumman75 said:
Perhaps for some people, it is the only freedom that they have ever known? :cig

·
Registered
23 Posts
millenniumman75 said:
:lol

So far it has been the worst years of my life, so I guess I should be happy about it? :con

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I had a really good time at univ. and most of my alumni friends actually told me to stay as long as possible :)

One of the reasons why I agree with the "best years of your life" remark is that there's things that were so incredibly odd that I did that I could never do them again. For example: tobogganing outside residence at 3am after it snows, spending endless nights at the library, smoking insane amounts of pot.

I guess everybody finds their place at some point in their lives, that which is the core of their "happy thoughts". University is a neat time, simply because it's the last time one has no responsibilites other than schoolwork.

·
Registered
449 Posts
College has the potential to be the best time. It is like the 'sweet spot' in life-your still a kid, and yet your old enough to realize that youth should not be wasted. Responsibilites tend to be minimal, just some homework, maybe an easy part time job where you can have a sketchy attendance record and not worry about it.

Sure for some people the best time of their life can come later, when they are older and have more money to do the things they want. But as far as i can tell (not from personal experience, just from what i hear and read) nothing really compares to having a good college experience. No matter how well people are doing 30 yrs later, they will still fondly remember their college years as the best time of their life. Sucks for us who cant make that happen, but it is what it is.

·
Walking thru mindfields
1,800 Posts
College has the potential to be the best time. It is like the 'sweet spot' in life-your still a kid, and yet your old enough to realize that youth should not be wasted. Responsibilites tend to be minimal, just some homework, maybe an easy part time job where you can have a sketchy attendance record and not worry about it.

Sure for some people the best time of their life can come later, when they are older and have more money to do the things they want. But as far as i can tell (not from personal experience, just from what i hear and read) nothing really compares to having a good college experience. No matter how well people are doing 30 yrs later, they will still fondly remember their college years as the best time of their life. Sucks for us who cant make that happen, but it is what it is.
Meh, you can always go back after if you want. I used to study with some 30 year old peeps in my project groups.

I just graduated a couple months ago and I'm already going back to college in 2 months to get some pre-requisite courses to upgrade to a professional designation. This cycle of school---->work can actually be a really fluid thing.

·
banana enthusiast
7,057 Posts
I agree. I do find some comfort in the fact that I am gradually trying to improve myself and my quality of life after going through most of university with no social life and no remarkable experiences, in contrast to so many others who have a great time in university and then start to implode. Although my gains so far in the social sphere have been trivial, I think I will continue to improve rather than crash and burn, and that does help me feel a bit better about my situation. Plus I am in better physical shape now than I have ever been in the past, which is in contrast to most other people my age, who have become fatter since the beginning of university.

People are always pining for their 20s, but so far my 20s have been sucky. But maybe by the time I'm 30, I can be in a position where I pine for the future rather than the past.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts