Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have MAJOR problems if someone is watching you eat? I don't like people looking at me for any reason (people I don't know, not really my friends so much) but it is particularly bad when I'm in a restaraunt or eating at work or something..

Yesterday I had to get up and leave a really good meal at a restaurant because these stupid a** people came over and sat at the table right next to mine, which would have been fine, but they both chose to sit in the seats that FACED my table, who does that? And their table was higher than mine so even though I knew they weren't really sitting there watching me...it sure the hell felt like it! It was awful. I could NOT continue eating and had to bolt out to the car while my poor husband pickedup the bill and got my food to go. I was so ANGRY at the whole situation.

Does anyhone else deal with that? Like when I go to a restaurant I won't eat there if there is not a "comfortable" place to sit and eat.

·
Bomb Diggity
104 Posts
OMG! I hate it when people are facing me or even watching me when I eat. Even if it's like someone I know. I'm like wtf are you staring at?? So then I get so insecure I just stop eating and leave the area. It's like why do people want to watch me eat?? Don't they have their own food to focus on ? I mean it's creepy and I'm not putting on a show for them!:mum

When it comes to resturants I try and sit in an area so I can face away from people the entire time lol. If not I just squish myself into a corner and keep my head down.

·
Lost
275 Posts
Like you, I just can't have people watching me whilst I eat.
For me, it's a problem that goes way back to my childhood. I've no idea how/when it started; but I've always seemed to have this intense fear of throwing up in public. So as you can imagine, eating is the worst thing to do when you're trying your hardest to keep it all down.

I get what you mean by the "comfortable" place to sit as well. For me, it's usually that I like to sit on the end of a table where I'm not likely to be the centre of attention; or in the middle of people's conversations.
If possible, I like to be in the corner, facing away from everyone else.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm the same, I cannot stand eating with people around me. I get really self-conscious and think i'm eating wrong.

I never go into restaurants, cafes or bars. I just can't bear people being around me when I eat.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I used to be this way, but realized that I don't watch other people eat so they most likely aren't watching me eat.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I used to be this way, but realized that I don't watch other people eat so they most likely aren't watching me eat.
Yeah, there's nobody out of the blue coming into a restaurant to watch you eat.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
i always get anxious when im eating in my schools eating area and end up eating as fast as i can to get out of there. I know noone is watching me but people are always looking around (whether sitting down or walking looking for a seat) and i know for a few seconds people are looking at me

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
i used to be self-conscious eating in public but it doesn't bother me anymore unless i see someone i recognize at a restaurant, then i'll get pretty anxious.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i'm somewhat overweight, so i always think people are measuring how much i eat and thinking "oh hes so fat, why is he eating so much"

·
A jagged pulse
310 Posts
You do realize they prbally werent watching you or could care less right? did you look atthem to see if they were watching you, ive learned people could care less about what m doing and i just make myself miserable worrying

·
Registered
591 Posts
ack. i'm so sorry you had to bolt out on what sounded like a date night with the hubby! But to answer your question, yes, I get major anxiety when I think people are watching me eat. You're lucky you can step foot into a restaurant; kudos to you. One way I try to handle the situation (when eating at a park or anywhere at that) is to let my hunnie know that i'm "starting to get nervous" ... he will then soothe my worries. Hang in there

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get annoyed when people sit right near me in restaurants, but it doesn't bother me so much I can't eat. I do eat a lot differently when I'm not alone. I usually slow down and take smaller bites than I would otherwise, cause I don't want people to think I'm a pig or something. :/

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I don't think people are actually watching me eat, but I am always nervous that I am going to do awkward and clumsy things and people are going to see. Because of that, I generally *do*, and that's part of why I have such a problem looking restaurant waitstaff in the eye. They're almost always looking in my direction when something drops and splatters or I can't fit the lettuce on my fork in my mouth easily or something.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My anxiety doesn't feel like it's bothering me that much in these situations, yet I intermittently seem to lose the ability to swallow whatever it is I'm trying to eat or drink.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,175 Posts
Before my anxiety I used to head to a little café for breakfast regularly by myself. I would just grab a paper on the way & mind my own business. I also would eat breakfast with my coworkers when I was working the nightshift sometimes, in both cases managing.

Now that I’ve developed SA I never eat in restaurants or cafes & often dread any diner I’m to attend. Part of it is that my anxiety from the social aspect may result in shaky hands which is embarrassing when trying to eat. Also my quiet nature comes into play because there’s no distraction when at a table with people, all you have is what you say & what you eat

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
To ease the pressure off abit maybe you should try being humerous about it?
I would probably try doing what Ace Ventura does with the fancy finger food (this is just an example of the types of immature things I find humerous) but you could find anything to amuse yourself really. (just as other's have mentioned)

If somebody was staring at me I would probably just start puffing my mouth up and making my face go red on purpose, just to see how they'd respond. sure you'd look like an idiot, but ultimately, the jokes on them as they know they've been caught out staring at you..

p.s in any case, i think you'll find that people are too busy either talking or eating themselves to be bothered about what somebody else in the restaurant is doing. From personal experience i find that people tend to stare a lot more in a place like a train or a bus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't like people looking at me doing anything anyway. I usually eat pretty slow anyway, and when I eat alone, I'm usually reading something so it's not exactly an exciting show.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts