Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bored to death
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it when I'm out in public, and somebody is walking a few feet behind me. I feel like I can't walk straight, and that they might be noticing that . I just get a totally different feeling when somebody is walking behind me, and when someone is not. It's not a fear thing , it's just uncomfortable. Another thing that I think goes along with that is I don't like anybody driving close behind me on a highway - as if they might somehow be evaluating my driving or something. Logically, part of me knows that I am only being paranoid- that they aren't really paying any attention to me. But I still get this feeling . Can anybody relate ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know what you mean! I want to turn my head when that happens! But mostly I hate it enough being out by myself alone! So what I do is, I take out my phone and just chat to anyone available (usually me elder sister). Very silly but I think its less distracting when you seem somewhat busy.
When no one answers the phone, I just walk really really fast to get to my destination :)

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Another thing that I think goes along with that is I don't like anybody driving close behind me on a highway - as if they might somehow be evaluating my driving or something. Logically, part of me knows that I am only being paranoid- that they aren't really paying any attention to me. But I still get this feeling . Can anybody relate ?
I don't know about the walking bit but the reason people are tailgating you isn't so they can observe your driving, it's so they can ride your tail to piss you off because they think they are awesome and they can't stand that your going the speed limit. Freaking idiots. I hate that crap, it's like here you are just riding along the road minding your own business and this son of titty pusher has to get on your case. It's like yeah buddy, your a real genious for riding my tail, look at you, wish I could be like that. Don't you just want to slam on your breaks so bad? and then when the cops come just be like ooopps I saw a chipmunk crossing the road, not my fault Mr. Awesome over here was riding me the whole way.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
I hate it when I'm out in public, and somebody is walking a few feet behind me. I feel like I can't walk straight, and that they might be noticing that . I just get a totally different feeling when somebody is walking behind me, and when someone is not. It's not a fear thing , it's just uncomfortable. Another thing that I think goes along with that is I don't like anybody driving close behind me on a highway - as if they might somehow be evaluating my driving or something. Logically, part of me knows that I am only being paranoid- that they aren't really paying any attention to me. But I still get this feeling . Can anybody relate ?
Both of those things piss me off something awful. I just wanna turn around and say "JEEZ, GIMME SOME SPACE, MAN!!

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
i know exactly what you mean. i feel like anyone anywhere near me who sees me walk will notice that i can't walk straight and that i look like an idiot when i walk.

and as for the driving, i drive differently when someone is behind me, like maybe i think they're evaluating my driving skills.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I am the same with driving, I always am super cautious when someone is up my trumpet and at times I feel a little bad if I do something perhaps a little silly and think what observers are thinking about me.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
But I still get this feeling . Can anybody relate ?
Not so much when people walk too close but I hate, hate, hate when I'm riding in a car and some fool is riding the bumper. I just want to grab them and squeeze their throat until their eyes pop out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hate walking past a group of people. I feel that they are judging the way I walk and look. I know exactly how you feel , i start feeling like Im swerving my walk just bc im too concerned with what theyre thinking about me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both of these things bug me as well.
For walking, I'll change my pace and move to the side or I'll speed up to lessen the proximity to said person(s).
For driving, I'm usually already speeding, so, unless there are a pair of Ford headlights in my rearview mirror, I'll change lanes and keep doing what I'm doing - or if they're severely tailgating me without giving me the chance to change lanes I'll take my foot off the gas peddle. It usually works AND it puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know about the walking bit but the reason people are tailgating you isn't so they can observe your driving, it's so they can ride your tail to piss you off because they think they are awesome and they can't stand that your going the speed limit. Freaking idiots. I hate that crap, it's like here you are just riding along the road minding your own business and this son of titty pusher has to get on your case. It's like yeah buddy, your a real genious for riding my tail, look at you, wish I could be like that. Don't you just want to slam on your breaks so bad? and then when the cops come just be like ooopps I saw a chipmunk crossing the road, not my fault Mr. Awesome over here was riding me the whole way.
I had a situation 2 weeks ago with a guy in a bmw riding my *** so close that i could see the stupid *** smirk on his face. I was so pissed off i sped up slammed on my breaks and got out to see what his deal was i couldnt hear him in his car but he backs up real quick and speeds off. I never been so pissed before in my life than i was at that moment i saw that the ******* was smiling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts