Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were you shy as a kid, or were you outgoing, had no abnormal behavior's or anxieties? If you were outgoing, when and why did you develop SA. Also are there people that developed it in their adulthood?

I seem to have been a shy kid all my life, but it really started to get bad when i went to school, and later on high school i think a this time i would be classified as someone with SA. Just interested in everyone's experiences.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I was never shy nor outgoing when I was a kid I was very quiet though and always have been, I do talk more now I think. I didn't have SA until I was in my early 30's.

·
Dude
604 Posts
I was very social, loud, humorous and confident as a kid. I didn't have any anxiety behaviors and I was pretty popular and usually brought people together. But I can see how I had bad beliefs system that would of caused my SA when I went to highschool.

I didn't get SA until I entered High school, one in a completely different district. I had no friends. It was a combinations of many things for me. I was really depressed and angry that I lost all my friends. I didn't want make close friends because that would mean I would be giving up old ones. also I wasn't use to being a nobody, and growing up I was taught your Image is the most important thing to others. So I was constantly worried about other's thinking and their opinion about me. I believed If they didn't like me, I would have no friends because I was in their "domain".

But I don't like who I was as a kid. I was pretty stuck up, and full of myself. I would say SA has made me into a better person.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was never shy nor outgoing when I was a kid I was very quiet though and always have been, I do talk more now I think. I didn't have SA until I was in my early 30's.
I guess i always thought people with SA just had to develop it in their youth. If you don't mind i ask, why in your 30's was it work or school related.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was very social, loud, humorous and confident as a kid. I didn't have any anxiety behaviors and I was pretty popular and usually brought people together. But I can see how I had bad beliefs system that would of caused my SA when I went to highschool.

I didn't get SA until I entered High school, one in a completely different district. I had no friends. It was a combinations of many things for me. I was really depressed and angry that I lost all my friends. I didn't want make close friends because that would mean I would be giving up old ones. also I wasn't use to being a nobody, and growing up I was taught your Image is the most important thing to others. So I was constantly worried about other's thinking and their opinion about me. I believed If they didn't like me, I would have no friends because I was in their "domain".

But I don't like who I was as a kid. I was pretty stuck up, and full of myself. I would say SA has made me into a better person.
I guess i was partly that way too, loud, humorous , actually i was just strange and weird as a kid, but i wasn't always so mute like now. i think i picked up a lot of bad beliefs too, but also i found i couldn't do somethings that made me more self conscience.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I guess i always thought people with SA just had to develop it in their youth. If you don't mind i ask, why in your 30's was it work or school related.
I probably had mild SA several years before I was ever diagnosed but I can't say why it became so bad as it did, it just kind of happened. I think it is probably linked to my generalized anxiety because as my anxiety has lessened over the years so has my SA but so far hasn't gone away yet.

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
^ this.

I'm not shy either, but I have a crippling fear of blushing which causes me to have anxiety. Most people think I'm really confident, it's strange.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've always been really shy but one significant event that i remember making my shyness turn into SA was when i was in 6th grade and i was called on to read and for some reason i panicked and my voice was really shaky. Im not sure why i panicked, but it scarred me for life and ever since then my SA's gotten worse and worse..

·
Registered
73 Posts

I didn't get SA until I entered High school, one in a completely different district. I had no friends. It was a combinations of many things for me. I was really depressed and angry that I lost all my friends. .
Me too, I was fine at junior school, had loads of friends, and was quite popular and bright. I went to a high school out of the catchment and knew no-one. All of the kids there (mainly the girls) were in their established groups, and I was suddenly at a loss as to how to befriend any of them. No-one went out of their way to invite me into their groups, perhaps I was already giving off the anti-social vibes without knowing it? That's when the negative feelings started I think.

It's gone downhill from there. I always had 'friends' through school and college, but always felt on the periphery of the group and ever had a best friend ever again after the one I had in junior school (who I also lost touch with). I'm not in touch with any of my old 'friends' now, in fact, as I have gone through life, I have kind of had acquaintances at the workplaces, or in the areas I have lived, but have lost contact with them every time I moved on.

I'm glad to have discovered the existence of SA, and to have read the experiences of others. It explains the depression I suffer. I HOPE there is a way back to how I was as a 5-11 year old, but there does seem to be an awful lot of undoing of negativity and esteem issues to be done before I stand a chance of getting there...

·
Registered
139 Posts
For me, it would depended on the situation.

In the classroom, back in grade school, where I knew everyone and had many friends and where I knew the teacher(s) loved me, I was always obnoxious and hyper. Not one bit shy or introverted. That is not until I got around strangers, especially adults. If it was a new kid in school or something I had no problem talking to them and trying to get them to be my friend. But adults.. I used to run and hide from my uncle because I didn't really know him, he lived in a different state and didn't visit more than once a year or whatever it was. Something about him terrified me but I'm not sure what. I think it was just because he was a big guy and I didn't know him.

I developed SA immediately into my 7th grade year, so those good days didn't last long.

(and I constantly dream that I'm back in those days. Off topic but yeah lol)

·
Banned
497 Posts
Were you shy as a kid, or were you outgoing, had no abnormal behavior's or anxieties? If you were outgoing, when and why did you develop SA. Also are there people that developed it in their adulthood?

I seem to have been a shy kid all my life, but it really started to get bad when i went to school, and later on high school i think a this time i would be classified as someone with SA. Just interested in everyone's experiences.
i was painfully shy from practically birth and then at age 5 i fully developed SA.

people who have had this problem as a child usually develop it becasue of genes, bad parenting style, traumatic experiences, modelling of significant others

people who develop it later in life usually develope it as a result of traumatic experiences or drugs abuse etc....

if you develop it later it life its so much easier to fix it cos the traumatic experiences are usually rememberabel (sometimespeople who developed it as kids cant even remember the events that triggered it ) and the casue is usually just one thing (as kids there can be multiple causes e.g genes, modelling , traumaitc events etc...) and plus the fact that your habit isnt as strong because who havent had the probelm that long (if youve had it since you was a kid then your habity will be that strong that basically sa feels liek its you , its just who you are

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I wasn't shy or SA-like at all until I was 13 and in the 5th grade. I was pretty much a social butterfly before that. Then in the 5th grade severe bullying and peer isolation pretty much messed me up and I've never been able to recover.

I'm still not shy.

I really don't think they're the same thing.
:ditto
Somehow I've rarely thought of myself as shy - I don't think I have a shy personality, I have an anxious one.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ this.

I'm not shy either, but I have a crippling fear of blushing which causes me to have anxiety. Most people think I'm really confident, it's strange.
Many interesting replies, maybe i should of asked if people that have SA were shy or not, but it seems that there are so many different conditions with this, maybe SA encompasses more than one disorder, rather its an umbrella term for anyone with anxiety around people.

I always was shy from people, strangers especially, it seems that many had the problem of being shy from adults, i had that too, and the bullying at school was really what made me anxious around people, but others here seem to just have a fear of a specific thing like blushing. maybe we have many different reasons for our SA, but our minds think the same, something about how we perceive the world around us.

I would think that shyness is an anxiety of sorts, like you feel uneasy about being with the opposite sex, but our anxiety is just too strong because its combined with many different fears, fears about our personal abilities, or appearance, people's behavior etc.... But i guess it makes no sense that you would be very outgoing and then change because of anxiety to someone shy, or is it, i don't know. Maybe it can happen the other way around, and people with social anxiety that were very shy change and become very talkative and outgoing, I would imagine that all kids to some degree were shy, all of them seem to be afraid of strangers or adults, but they grow out of it for what ever reason, and some kids seem to keep a shy demeanor.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I was very outgoing as a child but I still didn't have many friends. I preferred to have one friend with whom I hung out with most of the time. I actually remember being alone most of the time but it was something I really enjoyed and my ability to connect with people was still very high and advanced, or at least I felt like it was. I started developing bad self-esteem around age 14 due to acne but before then I remember walking into a room with confidence knowing that I'd brighten it and draw people in towards me. I remember feeling I had the power to manipulate attitudes very early on and it often worked but it was always positive because I didn't enjoy hurting people, and so I was also very sympathetic for my age I think. The best part of being social at that age was just feeling like I could connect with anyone at anytime whenever I wanted and that belief alone gave me pillars of confidence which seemed to make my assumptions a reality. I was always excited to talk to people and it energized me. Even though I was young and not as experienced about things, I feel the attitude and imagination well outweighed whatever worldly knowledge I've gained since then. I started becoming shy around girls very early, probably around 11 when everyone started becoming interested in each other, but I wasn't interested in anyone long into my late teens. Things are changing now. I feel like I'm slowly regaining my confidence back but that openness will never be back to that extent because things are different now, or maybe they will, who knows? I'm glad I went through the downs because it has taught me a lot about myself even though is was painful. Things will never be perfect though.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts

Going by home audios, I was definitely shy as a kid. I did have some high points in school though. In middle to early high school, we had a system of assigning 4 "student monitors" who had red badges and 1 "student prefect" who had a black badge. The monitors would oversee various aspects of the classroom (50-55 students per class) if the professors weren't there and the prefect would oversee the monitors. I was the prefect for 2 years, still have my badge ... somewhere. I was involved in a couple leadership positions throughout school but overall, I was introverted, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was shy, but it wasn't social anxiety (up until I was 8). It was more like a little kid being afraid of meeting new people. I had tons of friends and was really well-liked until I was about 12... it went downhill from there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm both shy and obnoxious. Shy around strangers or large groups, but obnoxious when it comes to people who actually know me and I feel comfortable with. Unless there are strangers around us, then I'm back to shy.

I don't quite understand this idea- how someone have SA and not be shy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts