Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sure you know many of these types of people...i was working the other day(construction) and this man walks up to us and just starts talking about his job and family and what he enjoys about being retired...i mean, this guy is going on and on about his life and we dont even really know the guy...secondly, what i always wonder is what makes people seem to go on these endless speeches about themselves(its never about anyone else)..i mean, do they actually think people give a crap about their lifes to that degree??i mean, not to sound rude but i dont care to hear a persons life story when i havent even yet been introduced to them yet..with me having SA it just seems backward to walk up to someone and talk to them about yourself...having a good conversation means sharing info about yourself and asking someone else about their life but most people seem content to just talk about themself..wtf....do they realize that not too many people care??

that must be evidence of a realy high esteem id have to say, right??something that we are missing...

is that evi

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Heh. It's hasn't happened to me before, but this one time, on a family vacation, this man sat beside my dad on the beach and told him his entire life story. Who knows why they do that. Maybe they're lonely? :?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i think its pretty egotistical and yes i hear it all the time. Most people (especially my age) are so caught up in their own little world. They are just oblivious to the big picture.

·
My head looks huge...
78 Posts
I think that, with a lot of people who carry on one-sided conversations that way, they don't always realize that they're doing it. It doesn't seem like very many people actually do that on purpose. For those that do act that way on purpose, that's a shame...but otherwise, it's probably just a mistake.
If you think about it from a psychological perspective (well, one of them, anyway), they may just have some sort of internal conflict that, unknown to them, is manifesting itself through conversation. I honestly think that everyone does this sometimes...veron is right, maybe they're just lonely.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My brother is like that. When ever we (the family) are together, all he will talk about his truck, the engin it has, the tires, the shocks, the sound it makes when he revs it up, how many girls he has been with, his job, his pay, how he shoulda got a promotion, etc..he will just go on and on and on. As soon as he walks away, we are usually like, doesnt he know we don't give a s**t? For real, none of us care, but we just let him talk...

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I've met some people like that, but I always figured it was my fault for not asking them to stop. I mean, that's probably why they do it, because nobody says anything so they assume it's no big deal.

·
Registered
529 Posts
They might not like to gossip or pry.

Although I feel where you are coming from.

I work with motor mouths that could power a city with their jaws.

The worlds electrical problems would be a thing of the past.

Although I guess it's not always about them, but might as well be
since they never take a breath.

·
Banned
768 Posts
I know what you're saying, and it can be annoying, especially people who feel they need to share every freakin thought that enters their mind!

BUT, at the same time, it's hard for me to criticize, because I'd love to be like that. I'd love to able to walk up to a complete stranger and just start talking about anything and be able to go on and on. Ironically, I guess I'm sort of shooting for that someday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts